Indie Film Buy-In & Cost

So here's the question: what is the minimum buy-in to produce decent independent film today? I'll just start with something that has elements of what I have right now to be the one sacraficed. Remember, this is production costs relating to equipment.

DSLR camera: $700.00
Lenses: $1700.00
Dollies and sliders: $2000.00
Lighting:$1500.00
Sound: $1000.00
Stabilizers: $4000.00
Monitor: $550.00
Computer & software: $4000.00 (light)

Total: $15,450.00 and we still have a crap camera and sound issues.

Oy.

He said decent. There are big movies and TV shows using DSLRs today; Black Swan was shot in part on a 7D. True Blood is shot on the 5D. .

I think only part of Black Swan was shot with 5d. How about True Blood? hard to believe anything but a few shots use a 5d. I like the way True Blood look, Boardwalk Empire also looks good.

I just don't buy flourescent for "serious" film work. Not bright enough, bad color, not focusable.

I'll say it agin, rent grip gear (if making a feature instead of buying). for $200 a day (or $2800 on a 14 day feature shoot) you could get an Arri softbank (1K, 2 X 650, 350) with stands, scrims, barndoors, etc... plus plenty of C stands, Combo stands, sandbags, apple boxes, flags, etc...

Last edited:
To be clear, you should really make no-budget films until you start winning awards, then you get financed by one of these.. You would have to be really sure of yourself to buy in from no experience and your own dime.
...Companies such as Lucasfilm continue to exist, co-financing their productions and partnering with Big Six studios for distribution. In fact, co-financing has become a growing trend in modern day Hollywood, with over two-thirds of the films put out by Warner Bros. in 2000 being funded as joint ventures, up from 10% in 1987.[19]

In an effort to cash in on the present day boom in independent film, today's Big Six major studios have created a number of independent-flavored subsidiaries, designed to develop less commercial, more character driven films which appeal to the growing art house market. These include MGM, UA (under MGM), New Line Cinema, HBO Films, Castle Rock Entertainment, Disneynature, DreamWorks SKG, Sony Pictures Classics, Fox Searchlight, Miramax Films, Warner Independent, Picturehouse, Paramount Classics/Paramount Vantage, Go Fish Pictures (under DreamWorks), Focus Features, Screen Gems, TriStar Pictures, Destination Films, Fox Faith, Fox Atomic, Gener8Xion Entertainment, Hollywood Pictures, Rogue Pictures and Sherwood Pictures.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Independent_film#Present_day_and_digital_filmmaking

To be clear, you should really make no-budget films until you start winning awards, then you get financed by one of these.. You would have to be really sure of yourself to buy in from no experience and your own dime.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Independent_film#Present_day_and_digital_filmmaking

All it takes is for you to win awards to get financed by a studio? Damn, what am I doing wrong?

Also, how are you going to go about winning these awards using a handycam your parents bought you for Christmas four years ago?

Last edited:
I think only part of Black Swan was shot with 5d. How about True Blood? hard to believe anything but a few shots use a 5d. I like the way True Blood look, Boardwalk Empire also looks good.

Okay, well, a full episode of House was shot on DSLR. I know other shows are at least shot in part on DSLRs, but I don't have the time to google at the moment. My point is that people don't get shocked when they see this footage on the screen. 99% of people don't even realize, they just accept it. On the other hand, if someone threw some Flip footage into one of these shows it would be immediately noticeable.

I don't feel dollies, sliders and stabilizers are asking too much. It all depends on the kind of movies you want to make. If I were going to spend a bunch of money feeding cast and crew (let's say I don't even pay them) for 15 to 20 days shooting a feature, hell yeah I'm going to budget in a dolly. I spent 1500 shooting this short film. 1200 went to the dolly. It was worth every penny.

Obviously, if you feel you need these things, don't let anyone stop you.

I rather be creative than try to raise an additional $6,000 for dollies and stabilizers.

I rather be creative than try to raise an additional $6,000 for dollies and stabilizers.

I don't consider going shaky-cam to be creative. A decent tripod is an absolute must; everything else is just nice if you can afford it. If you're decent with your hands you can throw together a DIY dolly in a day with crap you can find in a dumpster. DSLRs can give a great image if used properly, but if you're going handheld for everything your final product won't look anything close to professional.

What does that mean, "being creative?" You can shoot something without a dolly and have a particular look. Somebody else will use a dolly and get a different look. You don't want to spend $6000, don't spend it. But just because somebody doesn't use a dolly, doesn't mean they're creative. It just means they lack funds. Which is fine. We all lack funds. But let's not kid ourselves that we're 'being creative' by not using a dolly. You can be creative and use a skateboard, a wheelchair, or some diy gear, but it's not really 'being creative.' It's 'making do' with what we've got. We give ourselves too much credit I think, just because we're all poor filmmakers.

Camera: $2000 (used)
Lenses: $100 for a fish eye (used)
Dollies and sliders: (you're kidding, right? Look at all the stuff I have with wheels!)
Lighting:$100 (Hello Home Depot & Office Depot)
Sound: $250 (used)
Stabilizers: (you're jesting again!)
Monitor: $100 (used again)
Computer & software: $4000. Absolutely. Micro budget filmmakers cannot cut here--your film will be mostly made in the editing suite, with a Mac.
Sock-it-to-em-Wow! Script: Priceless.

You're shooting your entire film handheld fisheye? You invest $250 in sound but $4000 on a mac? Is this a joke?

This is probably a more well-rounded kit than what I listed. Also, good headphones are a must; I forgot to include them on my list.

Here's my version of a passable low-budget production sound kit:

Audio-Technica AT-897 Shotgun Kit

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...chnica_AT897BK_AT_897_Shotgun_Microphone.html

Audio-Technica AT4053b Hypercardioid Microphone

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...4053b_Hypercardioid_Condenser_Microphone.html

Alcove, thanks so much for your audio input. I really know jack crap about audio so all your advice is really appreciated.

I was just wondering why both microphones above are needed and not one of them. What is the ideal setting that each should be used for?

Thanks in advance. How's the weather in CT? I spent four years in New Haven. I miss the Pizza :)
aveek

And again, this idea you need to own/buy all the gear for you film is just crazy to me. I own my camera and lenses just because I wanted to really learn them and capabilities. I don't own anything else I use.

Your points may be going unnoticed (like the cheap home depot fluos being used for lighting... shudder) but rest assured someone here agrees with you. You're just asking for trouble if you're using home depot material without knowing how kelvin affects skin. You can use them to great affect, I know I have, but it's a lot of trial and error.

I think buying a camera is fine, but audio gear? Lights?

Are you going to teach someone else to use that stuff? Do you plan on running camera and recording audio at the same time?

Filmmaking's a team sport... finding teammates is more valuable than spending your money on gear.

So, the lowest common denominator is which empty spot you have to fill. If you have a friend that has sound gear, one that has lighting, so on and so forth and then there's a camera missing...

... buy a camera. xD Hur hur

And again, this idea you need to own/buy all the gear for you film is just crazy to me. I own my camera and lenses just because I wanted to really learn them and capabilities. I don't own anything else I use.

I can see your point and I think much depends on geographical location (reasonable access to rental vendors) and if making indie films is the only thing you use the equipment for, but I think you're right for the average person. Like any business, your equipment must be able to pay for itself if it's extensive. Having something on hand that you might use twice a year doesn't make good business sense.

Your points may be going unnoticed (like the cheap home depot fluos being used for lighting... shudder) but rest assured someone here agrees with you. You're just asking for trouble if you're using home depot material without knowing how kelvin affects skin. You can use them to great affect, I know I have, but it's a lot of trial and error.

Hey I've used Home Depot flo lights! But mainly just to light a greenscreen. Seemed to work pretty good actually. Cinefoil spray painted silver is an option for barn doors.

Just drove by a film shoot on a street in LA and there must have been 6 30+ foot trucks for the occasion and probably only for a few minutes AT MOST of footage for whatever they were filming... Seems so overkill to me. Hollywood seems to do that these days.

Oh - I forgot to mention the some 30 people standing around looking like they are doing nothing... Overkill...

Anyways, back to topic:

All I gotta say is if you buy the Schoeps CMIT-5U, you quite possibly do not need to buy another mic as long as you live for dialogue. It's great indoors and out.

And get one of those sandbags for camera stabilization. They get used all the time and they work.

Also, what about french flags and flags and such?

Just drove by a film shoot on a street in LA and there must have been 6 30+ foot trucks for the occasion and probably only for a few minutes AT MOST of footage for whatever they were filming... Seems so overkill to me. Hollywood seems to do that these days.

Oh - I forgot to mention the some 30 people standing around looking like they are doing nothing... Overkill...

I don't think so. Not over kill. To get things just right, to make something as good as it can possibly be, you need lots and lots of lights. About people standing around doing nothing, true but there are multiple departments and tasks being accomplished and not every task gets accomplished at the same time. Lighting is often quite time consuming btw.

Back