• Popcorn Points determine how popular a video is. You can click the popcorn bucket or simply react (Like, Love, etc.) and it will register a vote.

In love| animated short film| made in maya

Hey everyone! My name is Ulyana and recently I finished an animation course. I would like to get some feedback about my film : what do you like or dislike. I appreciate honesty. Have a nice day!

Attachments

• IMG_20230720_104621_131.jpg
    IMG_20230720_104621_131.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_20230720_104619_246.jpg
    IMG_20230720_104619_246.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Cool concept. I'm not an animator, so take what I say with a grain of salt:

The framerate looks a bit jerky and the rendering looks like 2000's scanline rendering.

I use Blender, not Maya, so I can't really offer tips to improve, but overall I'd say focus on your materials and rendering engine. That would help it out drastically.

Hi,Chris! I see what you mean and I completely agree with you. I have had deadlines so, unfortunately, time was not in my priority despite my desire. Thank you for your attention!

I think it's decent for an early Maya project.

Here's what I'd focus on next time.

1. Using high poly assets. Any CGI film is going to look better if you can't see the polygonal makeup of the individual models. Basically the closer you're planning to get the camera the higher your model's poly count should be.

2. The track at the end is mixed up too high, and is distorting. Just use your peak meter in the edit, and it will keep you in the safe zone.

3. More focus on using the lighting to enhance the picture.

4. Clear blue sky can work, but maybe some detail can make it more aesthetic.

5. Try out balancing color with more intent. The colors work ok in this reel, but scene composition and balance could be improved. Right now it's effective, and the combinations look good, but lack nuance, giving it kind of an early pixar feel.

It's a good effort, keep going!

Thank you, Nate!

1. Using high poly assets. Any CGI film is going to look better if you can't see the polygonal makeup of the individual models. Basically the closer you're planning to get the camera the higher your model's poly count should be.

2. The track at the end is mixed up too high, and is distorting. Just use your peak meter in the edit, and it will keep you in the safe zone.

5. Try out balancing color with more intent. The colors work ok in this reel, but scene composition and balance could be improved. Right now it's effective, and the combinations look good, but lack nuance, giving it kind of an early pixar feel.

It's a good effort, keep goin

Thank you, Nate!

It's a good effort, keep goin

Back