• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch In Good Company - Please critique!

Hello all, please watch and critique a film I just finished, In Good Company.

I'd really appreciate any and all feedback because this is the first film I've done in which there was recorded dialogue (or any live sound versus just music) and true 3-point lighting. So any constructive feedback (or just unpleasant ranting) would be seriously helpful. I want to get better at this and I don't have a huge community of filmmakers in my hometown from whom I can get feedback, so IT is pretty much my best bet for improving my films.

Watch it here: https://vimeo.com/113451828

I may not be the best one to offer feedback, but..
The lighting was good, and the music playing while the camera was in motion at the beginning really gave it a filmic feel. The slow, minimal (Digital zoom?) on the record player was good, rather than just a static shot. The audio, in my opinion, was good. The plate clinks, the flipping through the records... Maybe the first line of dialogue could have stood to be a bit louder following the music's level, but that's probably just me being nitpicky. After seeing the other thread about matching the colors between shots, They are different, and I wish you were able to match them a bit more, but there's not a whole lot that could be done, I'd imagine. Also, the man goes out of frame occasionally, but again, not much you could do after it had been shot.
I love the framing of the 'please say something' shot. He's dead center, and the framing gives the viewer the perfect feeling you're going for. And in the OTS reveal, the subtle darkening really works perfectly.
I hope this feedback is what you were looking for. Really nice job.

Hey I genuinely appreciate that input. It's great to hear exactly which parts could have been better so I know what to work on in the future. Thanks! :)

The overall look and pace of the film was fantastic in my opinion, especially the big reveal, pretty creepy. My only critique would be that sometimes the lighting felt a bit like stage lighting, as if it was a performance in front of a crowd.
Keep up the solid work!

That was really good, perfect length. I really liked the music and shots of stuff around the house.

When he put the mac and cheese (macaroni salad?) on the other plate I was almost positive it was going to be someone he kidnapped and shit lol

Thank you guys for the awesome input, it has been a gold mine of advice so far! Keep 'em comin'

sometimes the lighting felt a bit like stage lighting, as if it was a performance in front of a crowd.
gotcha. I'm struggling with getting my lighting to not be so harsh, to be more natural (but still dramatic!). Is this accomplished by using more than three lights? I had a key light with a wide snoot made of cinefoil, a hair light with a smaller cinefoil snoot, and a fill light using a dimmer and a china ball.

Last edited:
I'd say diffusion. And something I've been told is that have an idea of where in the room the light would be coming from.

Back