Improving quality after it's captured

I was watching the Shawshank Redemption on Blu-Ray last night and noticed it said restored in digital HD. Looking back at older copies of it, the quality was no where near as good. I know it was shot on film but this got me thinking, how do they actually make the quality better? I know they can remove noise, and do some other thing to improve quality of certain areas of the image like shadows, but I don't know how they made it look x3 better quality. Can anyone enlighten me?

Thanks! :)

First you should consider the “older copies” you have seen. Were
they VHS copies? Were they SD DVD copies? Do you mean film
printed from the negative?

The Blu-Ray is better than the VHS or SD DVD because the HD
image is a bigger, better image. I suspect there is nothing improved
or “better” from the 35mm negative - just improved and better
than the VHS or SD DVD. If they made a VHS copy of the film today,
from a clean negative, that copy wouldn’t look as good as the Blu-Ray.

First you should consider the “older copies” you have seen. Were
they VHS copies? Were they SD DVD copies? Do you mean film
printed from the negative?

The Blu-Ray is better than the VHS or SD DVD because the HD
image is a bigger, better image. I suspect there is nothing improved
or “better” from the 35mm negative - just improved and better
than the VHS or SD DVD. If they made a VHS copy of the film today,
from a clean negative, that copy wouldn’t look as good as the Blu-Ray.

It was through the Blu-Ray disc in the extras feature of the disc.

Thanks! :)

Last edited:
Because the resolution that can be obtained from the original negative is over 5x higher than the blue-ray resolution.

So as better commercial formats are released, we will still continue to see all of the old films in more and more detail.

Because the resolution that can be obtained from the original negative is over 5x higher than the blue-ray resolution.

So as better commercial formats are released, we will still continue to see all of the old films in more and more detail.

Wow, never knew it was 5x higher than Blu-Ray.

5x? Maybe try your math on that one ;) A 4K print would be just over 2x that of a 1080 BluRay.

5x? Maybe try your math on that one ;) A 4K print would be just over 2x that of a 1080 BluRay.

4K = just over four times the resolution of 1080p, no? (Hence "QuadHD".)

500px-Digital_video_resolutions_%28VCD_to_4K%29.svg.png

yes you are right, I was in a state of delusion about perimeters and areas ;)

Double the perimeter, 4x the surface area. Seems I need to go back to high school.... :P

Last edited:

Not necessarily - actual resolved detail is much different than theoretical maximum resolution. By the time you factor in lenses, filtration, stock characteristics, processing, etc - in practical use many old films won't show any significant increase in detail beyond HD resolution.

Back