• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

iMac vs. Macbook Pro

I am studying film in university and I am looking into getting either an iMac or a Macbook Pro. I cannot decide which one would be better for me. I'm sure the iMac would be a great computer for editing because of the big screen and the tech specs of it, but I am not sure if the portability of the Macbook Pro will be more useful for me. Also, the tech specs of the macbook pro are good too, so I think that would be enough for the programs I need to run. I need to be able to run final cut pro and soundtrack pro.

I realize this is very vague, but any advice on this issue would be great.

Thanks! :)

I have both. I use Final Cut and Soundtrack on both.

I don't think your question is vague, but I feel only you
know if the portability of the Macbook is more useful to
YOU than the iMac. I get great use out of my Macbook, but
if I could only afford one, I would get the iMac. That's exactly
what I did. I got the iMac first and years later when I could
afford it I got a Macbook.

But I suspect you and I have very different needs.

Right now, as a film student, is portability more useful for you?

I originally decided to get the macbook pro because I need to be able to show my films to my teacher before I burn them to dvd and I figured it would just be easier to bring my laptop to the school to show him.

The problem with the iMac is that the version of Final Cut Pro I have is newer than the one the school has, so my final cut file will not work with the school's version. Also, I am thinking about when I possibly get a job/internship and I need to be able to bring my computer with me for some reason, then the macbook pro would be more helpful. I am just worried that if I get the iMac now and then next year decide that I need a Macbook Pro, I may not be able to afford it, so I figured that the Macbook Pro would be more reasonable for now, and then in a couple years I could get an iMac when I am settled and possibly have a steady job.

Another question I have, which you have already kind of answered is how strong is the Macbook Pro for editing? Does it run Final cut and soundtrack pro smoothly with no problems?

mac

I have a mac pro but I couldn't install the final cut pro 7 because of my graphic card.
Just make sure the computer that you will buy has the requirement to install the final cut pro.
I think having a mac pro is better especially if you want to edit your videos outside home and share your work with your friends .
Good luck
Mohammed

Back