I'm Thinking About A Script Reading

I think that a script reading for my script for my next production is a good idea even before I send the script to a script consultant to flush out problems with dialogue and hear the story unfold.

I'm also thinking about having the actresses for the new production brain storm the costumes for the men on an Amazon world. That should be interesting.

Back to the topic at hand. I've usually only done script readings for spec scripts. But, since this short will hopefully help to fund a feature to follow, a script reading should be a good thing to make the script all that it can be.

As long as you're on a casual basis with your readers/actors, and tell them what stage the script is in. That way, they'll be able to tell how crap you are by how many re-writes you've attempted and how bad it still is. ;)

But seriosuly, i've never taken part in a read, but hope to be holding some of my own very soon, with some fellow students frm my course. I hear it's a very productive and fun way of improving your blueprint.

After watching "I, Creator", I can confidently say that yes, you definitely want to do readings and rewrites. You also need to have people who aren't your friends objectively critique your script and you need to really listen to those critiques.

This can be hard at times. I've had some things I've written be mercilessly ripped apart by others... and they were absolutely right. Listening to them greatly improved the quality of what I was writing.

I've never found critics and people who rip an artist's work useful for a damn thing. People with nothing good to say should say nothing at all. When I read scripts for writers, I'd show by example a better or the right way to do something and have gotten a lot of thanks from writers for my approach because they can compare my suggestion to the way they did something and judge for themselves.

These critics need to attend ASJA CONVENTIONS to hear seasoned writers and editors explain to them writers are thin skinned by nature and critics need to show professional respect to a writer's "Baby." People who rip others to shreds are just disrespecting the writer / artist. I attended ASJA CONVENTIONS for a good 5 years in a row. That stands for the American Society of Journelists and Authors.

Actors, for the most part, are more civil and offer solutions by example of better ways to do things in a script. That's what I'm looking for.

I've never found critics and people who rip an artist's work useful for a damn thing. People with nothing good to say should say nothing at all.

Then I'm sad to say your writing will never improve, because you'll only give your script to people who will say they like it. You'll never get better, and this is unfortunate.

I listen to people to critique my work, I listen to why they think what they think, I step back, look at what I've written, and then I make it better as best I can.

The best thing I ever did was to get rid of my ego when having my work critiqued. I won't agree with everyone's opinion, but you should always listen to those who don't like your work because there's always the chance they're on to something.

Last edited:
An entire convention that you have visited for the past five years is against "Constructive Criticism"?

And even though you may say -As i assume will be your retort- that the "Ripping apart" of someones "Baby", is not constructive criticism. I would have to disagree. How does a writer grow, how does he/she improve without meaningful scrutiny, and those willing to give honest insights?

Writing is a lonely profession, one is bound to become self-absorbed. But to hear a convention detering criticism...it's fair to say i'm astounded.

Then I'm sad to say your writing will never improve, because you'll only give your script to people who will say they like it. You'll never get better, and this is unfortunate.

I listen to people to critique my work, I listen to why they think what they think, I step back, look at what I've written, and then I make it better as best I can.

The best thing I ever did was to get rid of my ego when having my work critiqued. I won't agree with everyone's opinion, but you should always listen to those who don't like your work because there's always the chance they're on to something.

I've sold spec scripts and had scripts pass script readers of studios working my way. Script readings and suggestions from writers, actors, and other producers got them there.

You are in dire need of attending an ASJA Convention to hear nationally known writers and editors educate you on how to make suggestions to writers.

An entire convention that you have visited for the past five years is against "Constructive Criticism"?

And even though you may say -As i assume will be your retort- that the "Ripping apart" of someones "Baby", is not constructive criticism. I would have to disagree. How does a writer grow, how does he/she improve without meaningful scrutiny, and those willing to give honest insights?

Writing is a lonely profession, one is bound to become self-absorbed. But to hear a convention detering criticism...it's fair to say i'm astounded.

I've been writing for 35 years and have learned best by example. That's the way I've help other writer too. And, I've gotten many thanks by the writers for that. Listening to nationally known writers and editors at ASJA Conventions refer to writers as "thin skinned" and their works are their "babies" helped me to be careful when helping other writers to see a better way. I show my way side by side with their way and let them decide. No writer has ever hated me for it. They have thanked me.

I've seen too many writers and filmmakers quit other boards from board members just ripping their work apart. I received emails from these same writers and filmmakers thanking me for pointing them in the right direction when others just ripped them apart.

I expect to get good feedback at the script reading. Creativity is team work. Solo artist will always remain alone. The rest of us like the community spirit.

Last edited:
I've been writing for 35 years and have learned best by example. That's the way I've help other writer too. And, I've gotten many thanks by the writers for that. Listening to nationally known writers and editors at ASJA Conventions refer to writers as "thin skinned" and their works are their "babies" helped me to be careful when helping other writers to see a better way. I show my way side by side with their way and let them decide. No writer has ever hated me for it. They have thanked me.

I've seen too many writers and filmmakers quit other boards from board members just ripping their work apart. I received emails from these same writers and filmmakers for pointing them in the right direction when others just ripped them apart.

I expect to get good feedback at the script reading. Creativity is team work. Solo artist will always remain alone. The rest of us like the community spirit.

With all due respect, I can't possibly agree.

It is not your views upon the method you choose to adopt that i disagree with, i assure you, giving examples as a means to further anothers material is both generous and rewarding. However, this is personal preference.

But to rule out constructive critique, is to abandon a method that alike your own, has profited thousands of artists. Whether or not it has recieved scrutiny at a convention is not important, i will admit, as i have seen, there are few who can air their opinions with occasional sinicism, but to dismiss the progression entirely?

"A community spirit" is good and well, but the acceptance of all opinion should be listened. To rule it out is to contradict whatever predertermined unity you believe to possess.

You happened to clarify my point at the climax of your post.

"Creativity is team work. Solo artist will always remain alone."

If this is true, I would sooner be the Solo Artist with the open-mind, than part of a team who values only pre-seleced opinion.

The real beauty of a script reading is when an actor really gets into the story of the script and comes up with dialogue with just the right inflections that is pure genious and you strike out the original dialogue for what they just came up with. Or, an actor shows you a better way to visualize something happening by getting up and acting out the scene.

Needless to say, recording the script reading is a must not to miss anything.

With all due respect, I can't possibly agree.

It is not your views upon the method you choose to adopt that i disagree with, i assure you, giving examples as a means to further anothers material is both generous and rewarding. However, this is personal preference.

But to rule out constructive critique, is to abandon a method that alike your own, has profited thousands of artists. Whether or not it has recieved scrutiny at a convention is not important, i will admit, as i have seen, there are few who can air their opinions with occasional sinicism, but to dismiss the progression entirely?

"A community spirit" is good and well, but the acceptance of all opinion should be listened. To rule it out is to contradict whatever predertermined unity you believe to possess.

You happened to clarify my point at the climax of your post.

"Creativity is team work. Solo artist will always remain alone."

If this is true, I would sooner be the Solo Artist with the open-mind, than part of a team who values only pre-seleced opinion.

"Lead by example," is pretty much show by example.

The longer you are in the business, you'll find the biggest critics who just rip people apart have nothing to show themselves. Every film and TV ctitic is a fustrated filmmaker.

I really enjoyed collaborating with another screen writer a few years ago. I'd write one scene and he would write another. Then, we would look at what we both wrote and sometimes rewrite a scene the other wrote and give reasons for the rewrite. The one with the best reasoning got the revision. Sometimes just the pure brilliance of the other writer's version was reason enough to change from the original version.

That's just another good way to improve your writing.

As one of the editors of the MARTIX told me years ago, "We are in a business where people have to show you what they can do. Don't have them tell you. Let them show you." That's why I prefer to show a better way to write something. Let the writer judge for themselves.

Last edited:
I agree, as i've said it's one of many techniques that will benefit the writer. I just wouldn't rule out what you may percieve as "Harsh criticism" that in the eyes of many is simply constructive.

I agree, as i've said it's one of many techniques that will benefit the writer. I just wouldn't rule out what you may percieve as "Harsh criticism" that in the eyes of many is simply constructive.

I used to be on another board.

Recently, I received an email from a member of that board that my worse critic dropped out of film making altogether.

I got a call from another member telling me the same story and said this critic called himself "a failure." The critic had higher standards than Hollywood and I told that guy more than once he'll never get anything completed with standards that high. And, look at what happened. He retired from film making altogether.

You need to set realistic standards for yourself on what you can achieve.

After watching "I, Creator", I can confidently say that yes, you definitely want to do readings and rewrites. You also need to have people who aren't your friends objectively critique your script and you need to really listen to those critiques.

This can be hard at times. I've had some things I've written be mercilessly ripped apart by others... and they were absolutely right. Listening to them greatly improved the quality of what I was writing.

After another customer watched I, Creator, he got my phone number off my web site and called me. He wanted to know if I am making a sequel. When I told him about the short and sequel, he is pledging to be an investor. He also bought more copies.

What he liked about the movies were the costumes and the cyborgs. When he heard we're going up to six cyborgs, he even wants to help make props and show up on the set.

His only problem with the original is the sound. I have a bible of problems I had with it.

He had a first hand glimpse of the conceptual art of the sequel. He loves the new spaceship.

I checked this guy out with filmmakers who know him and he is for real.

So, as bad as the first movie is, something good came out of it. I closed the the door on that movie to concentrate on the next production. I was very happy to get a very good DP interested in working on the new production.

I'm bringing in an ex-Special Forces guy as our Special Forces adviser and two stunt coordinators. So, the action will be much better.

So, things are in the right direction.

Last edited:
I think there's a good way to tear somebody's script apart, and a bad way.

There are some people who kind of just enjoy tearing shit apart, and are almost mean about it. It's like they're trying to demoralize you.

Then, there are those people who genuinely want to help. These are the people who earn the title of providing "constructive" criticism. In addition to pointing out the flaws, they will also point to the strengths, and they will add encouragement, while suggesting which things they might consider changing. I believe this type of criticism is very healthy, and helpful, and I feel like my movie is considerably better for it, because I sought out as many people as I could find (local, and online), and asked them to be brutally honest. Obviously I hoped they wouldn't be dicks about it, but I wanted to know their honest opinions, and I'm eternally grateful for this.

I used to be on another board.

Recently, I received an email from a member of that board that my worse critic dropped out of film making altogether.

I got a call from another member telling me the same story and said this critic called himself "a failure." The critic had higher standards than Hollywood and I told that guy more than once he'll never get anything completed with standards that high. And, look at what happened. He retired from film making altogether.

Ugh.... and on that same forum, you asked the same questions that you ask here, and then tend to shrug off nearly all advice in favor of whatever it was your were going to do anyway.

It seems people are already expressing similar frustrations on this forum. These are the dangers of responding to a post from Mike Cervello of Modern Day Myth...

A table read is a great thing, an incredible tool for working on a screenplay. I never have the script out in front of me as I don't want to "read"; I want to LISTEN. Too many writers are in love with their own words and they may hear their script, but they aren't LISTENING. There has to be a critical eye at the screenplay lest it never improve.

For some people the kid gloves and coddling is the only way to learn that their script needs work and there are those who need to be knocked down a few times and use those hard knocks to try harder. Everyone learns differently.

Back