I'm shooting an intense action scene, looking for inspiration in other films.

Hey guys! For my new short action film I'm planning to shoot a scene where a small team of special agents infiltrate a security basement in order to catch a big mob dealer, they have to pass through a lot of highly trained security guards and minions, I'm thinking on an intense action sequence with lots of simultaneous action gunfights, hiding, running, fist fighting etc. It's gonna be pretty hard to shoot.
So I'm looking for scenes in movies or short films where I can get some inspiration, or make myself an idea of how to shoot this kind of scenes, (intense action, where lots of things are happening at the same time) learn something about the pace before jump into shooting. I hope you guys can help me out on this one :)

Thanks a lot! rogypro this actually one of my favorite scenes ever as well!
and Rok that was actually on the top of my head, I've always liked that kind of style for my film, I really hope to get it right tho! I have a lot of work to about finding a way of editing simultaneous action, wish me luck my friends

The "Kickass" scene is really good, because you can actually SEE what the hell is going on. The jump cuts make the scene faster, but overall it's a very slow scene. I think it supports the story, because you have this professional, cold-blooded killer who is very precise with his assassinations.

For me, these spastic action sequences in Bourne are very off-putting. Maybe I'm getting too old :lol:

intense action, where lots of things are happening at the same time

I've forgotten the term for it, but events in parallel. You see a lot of it in Quantam of Solace. A lot of it. Horse racing above ground, cutting back & forth to tunnel chase. Opera telling the story of people getting killed, while assasins kill each other at the opera. There was another big one, too, but I'm spacing on it.

Anyways... watch it for some ideas, maybe. I wasn't a big fan of it in QoS (too much repetition, really), but it could work really well. Maybe. :)

I've forgotten the term for it, but events in parallel. You see a lot of it in Quantam of Solace. A lot of it. Horse racing above ground, cutting back & forth to tunnel chase. Opera telling the story of people getting killed, while assasins kill each other at the opera. There was another big one, too, but I'm spacing on it.

Anyways... watch it for some ideas, maybe. I wasn't a big fan of it in QoS (too much repetition, really), but it could work really well. Maybe. :)

It's called cross-cutting, and it can do wonders to add to the intensity. The opera scene in Quantum of Solace is one of my favorite scenes ever :)

Back