If your rich uncle gave you 10k....

If your rich uncle gave you $10k for you to buy yourself film and audio gear, and that's all you had to spend, and you had to start from scratch, what would you spend that money on?

I have no idea as I don't know all that much about gear. So I'm wondering what all the experts in this forum would buy.

Let's keep the budget between 10 and 15k. And let's limit equipment to Audio and Video (including lenses). Let's exclude computers, software, lighting etc, (unless you feel compelled to).

Yes, we can all dream :)
No, I don't have a rich uncle. :(

Last edited:
You don't need that much to travel.

I've met a guy once who was on a World Tour over five years. He was buying plane tickets for a few cents each. Thanks to low cost companies offers. Of course, he couldn't chose both when and where. He used couchsurfing to sleep for almost nothing. He loved Asia and over there he could even afford motels since it was really cheap.

where are all the dreamers?? Why aren't more people describing their dream outfit in detail? C'mon people. No need to be shy now!!!
A - I don't know sh!t.
B - The question's parameters were just for camera and audio.

For $10k unlimited expenditure I'd get a decent (used) camera with lenses (~$2500), basic sound gear (~$1500), tripod, cases, light kit w/ reflectors/bounce boards, blankets, DIY track and shoulder rig, and a small tradesman trailer to haul all this sh!t around in.
And a decent editing computer w/software and maybe a class or two.

Looks like there might be $1000 left over.
Figure out and subtract how much the festival circuit is gonna run.
The rest on props, costumes, food and token gas payments and shoot something with darn near zero-budget micro crew and cast.

D@mn.
That $1000 ain't much to "work" with.
Better pre-pro plan the h3ll outta this non-existant magical story.

I'd hope to make more like-minded professional friends than burn bridges for the next go round.

If my rich uncle gave me $10,000, I would spend most of it on cast & crew.
Maybe I'd buy a Flip HD and one of those $20 Chineese shotgun mics hooked up through a minijack into a WalMart digital recorder, edit with MS Movie Maker, and spend the rest on cast & crew.
Write a story using found objects and regular clothes for costumes.
Hmm...

Maybe I'd buy a Flip HD and one of those $20 Chineese shotgun mics hooked up through a minijack into a WalMart digital recorder, edit with MS Movie Maker, and spend the rest on cast & crew.
Write a story using found objects and regular clothes for costumes.
Hmm...

You just inspired a thread. What's the minimum buy-in for indie film production?

You just inspired a thread. What's the minimum buy-in for indie film production?

I shot a feature, with this:

canon_eos_550d_5.jpg

this:

Rode_NTG-2ShotgunMic.gif

this:

600761.jpg

and this:

pabst-blue-ribbon.jpg

Back