• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

ideas for story?

I have started a few scripts, , but havnt gotten far because i realize it owuld be too hard to accomplish. Any ideas for a story and a script i could write? It will be my first big fiction movie, and i know story may be the single most important element of a movie. I havnt had too much time to brainstorm ideas because ive been so caught up in researching to buy equipment (youll know wat i mean if you check out my other posts, any help on those, too would be much appreciated!)
The idea ive been thinking bout lately is about a kid (girl or boy) who has always been a troubled kid, and finds a hobby of stealing. but he grows and eventually does more elaborate stealing, and his craving grows. he gathers some friends (prob. 2 or 3 for my situaition) to help him, each with special skills like technical brains and master munipualters. they steal from residential houses eventually, and come across one one day that seems the best in a while. but the owner(who will prob. have to be a kid, like a rich one or something) finds out as they execute their plan, and things get interesting, as this person is smarter than they think.
I was thinking of telling the story like this, it starts out with the owner of the home already captured the kids, and trying to get info. from them. Then we flashback and tell the whole stroy, and come back to it, where we somehow get a cliffhanger, like they escape or something? good format? suggestions? new ideas for movies?
i have plenty of friends to cast, and many people i know who im sure would go for a few more smaller parts if neccisary. but is there another idea where my situation is possible? I have quite a few people to cast and crew, but i dont really want to spend anything on filming, especially when theres so many free spaces an props in the world. I have enought to spend on equipment. there are mainly houses to film at, though i coud prob. get some of my high school, cars, electric scooters and mostly quiet roads, and a clubhouse in my own neighborhood. It has a huge pool, hot tub, sauna, and excercise room, a conference room, locker rooms, hallways, and a nice grand room for renting like for parties and events if we want for free. Im sure i could get permission to film here, and it is a nice, modern building, prob. only 3 or 4 yrs. old. The grand room has a little sit area in the middle, very high ceiling, and big windows all around, and has a carpeted floor. (could be a good battleground) I also have access to small forest, plenty of open land, etc. (srry its soo long) thats my access, and between my friends and i we have plaenty of props. any other ideas for my situation let me know! much appreciated!!!

If this is your first narrative film, you should make a short film no longer than five minutes. Constraints are a good thing, because limits actually help creativity. Squeezing a full story in five minutes will help you to focus your film to only what is needed.

What you have here is a really sweet concept. There is tons of potential for conflict, a clear protagonist and antagonist, the stakes are high.

Since you are making a short, your story shouldn't try to span years. Focus your story on a specific event, say that final glorious climactic heist. All that stuff you have about him craving to steal is actually really good backstory. Actors need a backstory to really sink into the part and understand the present situation.

So if you boil down to that final heist, you will have a clear goal (which is how audiences ask the question, "Will he succeed? What happens next?") from the onset, and you can focus on building obstacles to that goal, ramping up the stakes and the tension until the climax. Remember that nothing reveals character better than actions. We gain insight into a character watching him confront an obstacle, and take an action to achieve the goal. What if one of his friends gets caught but he is undetected? Would he just let his friend suffer the consequences by himself or would he join him? Those two choices could paint two very different characters.

Another thing, this would naturally allow you to focus on visual conflict and action. The best short films present their conflict visually because film is a visual medium. We'll see characters breaking into shit, hiding from people, stealing stuff, it'll be great.

How much do you know about the 3 act structure, because its probably one of the best things about screenwriting. The stories write themselves, because you are following a basic structure of what happens. Like other constraints, it focuses your creativity.

And don't be afraid to rewrite, rewrite, rewrite

Back