I will never stop laughing at...

Loud Orange Cat

Pro Member
indiePRO
an episode of the Simpsons in which Marge and Homer are arguing on a plane about watching Kurosawa films.

Marge​
But you liked
"Rashomon"

Homer​
That's not how
I remember it.

So my question to you is...

What's the funniest (or most memorable to you) comment on film/TV that makes fun of its own medium? This one above is mine.

What's the funniest (or most memorable to you) comment on film/TV that makes fun of its own medium?

I saw GI Joe: Retaliation the other night. To paraphrase:

"Get a grip. This isn't some movie, you know..."

...followed up by breaking the 4th wall and giving the audience that knowing look. :lol:

Heh, well.. not the best example of this, but it was the most recent one. :bag:

There was a scene like that in Smokey and the Bandit and Cannonball Run. Burt Reynolds had free reign in those days to look at the camera, smile and be off.

But the best was Blazing Saddles. When Harvey Korman starts talking to himself in his office asking how to get rid of Rock Ridge. He ends up looking at the camera and ask the audience "And why am I asking you?"

Also from "Blazing Saddles" - as newly appointed Sheriff Bart rides through the desert to April in Paris and comes upon Count Basie and his orchestra playing the song.

From the TV series "Max Headroom" - in one episode a competing network is broadcasting terrorist events; Edison asks Murray "Since when is news entertainment?" to which Murray responds "Since it was invented?"

And, of course, the whole film "Network" parodies the entire news media set up.

"I'M AS MAD AS HELL, AND I'M NOT GOING TO TAKE THIS ANYMORE!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dib2-HBsF08

Reminds me of what goes on on most of the new networks these days....

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang. The scene where characters killed off earlier in the film make a cameo appearance in a hospital room as a spoof of people seeminly killed only to, in the very next shot, miraclously awake in a hospital bed still alive.

Good Morning Vietnam

"Excuse me, sir. Seeing as how the V.P. is such a V.I.P., shouldn't we keep the P.C. on the Q.T.? 'Cause if it leaks to the V.C. he could end up M.I.A., and then we'd all be put out in K.P. "

There was a scene like that in Smokey and the Bandit and Cannonball Run. Burt Reynolds had free reign in those days to look at the camera, smile and be off.

But the best was Blazing Saddles. When Harvey Korman starts talking to himself in his office asking how to get rid of Rock Ridge. He ends up looking at the camera and ask the audience "And why am I asking you?"

Mel Brooks had a habit of letting his actor's take 'liberties' like this. You see Gene Wilder give the camera knowing looks in a couple spots in Young Frankenstein, too.

Back