I want to be a filmmaker... But I have no friends!

I know filmmaking is a very collaborative medim, but I have no friends. I find that I can be a pretty social, funny person once I've acquainted myself with someone; it's just that taking the initiative to talk to strangers terrifies me. Because of this, I have few friends, none of which are interested in filmmaking in the slightest. I've been reading books on filmmaking and trying to learn as much as I can on my own, but I know this can only get me so far

How can I make friends who have as much interest in filmmaking as me? Like I said, I'm a very introverted person. I have no intention on going to film school or spending any other outrageous sum of money to network either

Thanks!

So, you're saying its okay to suck because I'm only 17? Well, that makes sense :)

I guess that's kinda how it came out... sorta... just that there's no pressure, people will understand if a 17 year old has a lot to learn about this stuff.

By the way, congratulations on chasing your dreams even at 36! It's really cool to see that anyone can follow their dreams no matter where they are. Unfortunately, I don't think I'll be able to join many adult film groups until I'm out of high school, but maybe I'll have a little more confidence then

Thanks! For the record, I've since turned 37 since I started pursuing my dream... ugh. I wanted to get in to film when I was your age (wow, feel really old saying that), but in the early 90's we were a long way from affordable and accessible equipment. Also, I was in the Midwest, a long way from any film communities. I was expected to go to college, get a good job, etc.

Anyway, there's probably not much more I can add to this topic, but based on what I've read from you so far you sound like you've got a good head on your shoulders. So if you just break out of your comfort zone and get out there and work hard, you should be able to do well. Good luck! :)

My only question is this; is that legal? :lol: don't get me wrong, it's a swell idea. I just wouldn't want to make anyone uncomfortable (and I know I would personally be uncomfortable hanging around someone with a video camera)

Yes, it is completely legal. In the US, a person has absolutely zero reasonable expectation of privacy in a public place. http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/Reasonable+expectation+of+privacy

Parks and the like are public places. I know it sounds creepy but you want to NOT be seen by your subjects. Even if the people you film are okay with you filming them, once they know that they are on camera, they will start to ACT like themselves instead of just BEING themselves. The camera knows the difference. It is very much the same as what good street photographers do.

Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to find the most interesting people that you don't know in a public setting and covertly film them for at least a week. Compile the footage and create a story that does not require dialog. Use sound and music to convey emotion.

Man this is weird I was thinking about this the other day. I haven't made a movie in a while with my friends and I really want to but school, work and other such trouble gets in the way. Film-making it's not easy you got to work at it. Best advice I ever got was that my movies are gonna suck for a while but thats okay they'll be great one day. For now I'll just continue to edit. I like editing. You could try that since you have no actors. It builds creativity. Open your favorite NLE and do it. Make a trailer for your favorite movie or make a bunch of movie trailers. A trailer can give a movie a completely different feel. Me I've been editing a bunch of grindhouse movies from the 60s and 70s into like 30-45 second trailers. It's good stuff man, also gives one a lot of ideas like I think I might make a voodoo car chase film one day or a karate biker film. Maybe even a masked gang film or maybe a devil who listens to led zeppelin film....Ideas are endless. Hey maybe even a Paramedic comedy? Film is full of endless possibilities. You just have to be crazy enough to do one of them.

A general thought about university: it was not intended to be, and shouldn't be, job training. Rather, it's mind training. Go to university to study a subject you're passionate about with professors who are experts in that field.

I would also advise not going to university right out of high school. Most people I know, including myself, got more out of university after getting a bit of life experience. Rather, go to trade school and learn a practical skill that will get you a job. You can't follow any dreams (university, film school, anything) if you can't feed and house yourself. My girlfriend got her Electronics Technologist certification in a two-year programme, got a job, and earned her BA in Philosophy part-time over six years.

As for making movies: you need either friends who are as dedicated to movie-making as you are, or lots of money to pay people to be your friends who are as dedicated to movie-making as you are. You can't do it alone. But you can't just make people be your friends; that's kind of creepy. A great method is to work beside someone toward a common goal; that camaraderie and "we're in the trenches together" spirit lets you get to know people and assess whether you're compatible in terms of goals, dedication, and working habits.

In even small towns, check Craigslist (in the "Gigs" section) for someone making a micro-budget movie who wants collaborators for no pay. Lack of experience is no impediment for most of these projects. In my experience, shorts are more likely to be completed than features.

And for people who (like myself) are introverts, the "working on the project together" aspect helps overcome the social awkwardness by automatically giving you something to talk about.

Hope some of this is helpful to someone ...

Mother, Jugs And Speed?

Please tell me that you have seen this cult classic.

Man Dude.... I just spent the whole day watching cult classic movies. If only I had logged on sooner. I'll probably check it out in the coming weeks. Right now I'm working on a dvd of fucked up horror trailers to amuse myself when I'm not doing school work or writing.

I watched:
Deadbeat at Dawn
2019: After the fall of new york
Lord Love A Duck
Billy Jack
The Screaming Skull
and then finished it off with Monkey Shines

Twas a swell day. Also thinking of doing movie reviews since my friends think I have the voice for it. Who knows?

Same here, I am getting a degree in Graphic design when I return to college. I have some experience in flash and other CS5 programs, so I'll be prepared for adobe after effects when i need it.

Back