I want to be a filmmaker... But I have no friends!

I know filmmaking is a very collaborative medim, but I have no friends. I find that I can be a pretty social, funny person once I've acquainted myself with someone; it's just that taking the initiative to talk to strangers terrifies me. Because of this, I have few friends, none of which are interested in filmmaking in the slightest. I've been reading books on filmmaking and trying to learn as much as I can on my own, but I know this can only get me so far

How can I make friends who have as much interest in filmmaking as me? Like I said, I'm a very introverted person. I have no intention on going to film school or spending any other outrageous sum of money to network either

Thanks!

You could look to see if there are any filmmaker groups near you (facebook and google should reveal that). You could start a thread seeing if anyone on here is in your area. OR you could try your hand at animation, stop motion, or even just doing it all yourself.

Hello Liv :cool:

You don't need actors to start out. You can go to a park or garden and shoot. Or you could make a short film just using inanimate objects to show emotion through camera angles, music, lighting, and editing. There is a youtube channel called "Film Riot" that did a film competition where you had to use anything but a human to show emotions. People used pets, clay figures, yogurt :D, and many other objects. Perhaps you could do one yourself.

Here's a film just using simple objects, but using camera, editing, and music techniques to show emotion. You could shoot something like this yourself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLj99ZgVMvw

Or like rayw said, animation.

Watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDjTx-BCL-I

You need to get over your fear of people. You aren't going to anywhere as a filmmaker like that. You're going to be a guy sitting away at his computer, doing nothing. I'm not trying to be mean, I'm being honest. People who make that mistake go nowhere. People who are socially awkward and/or make excuses go nowhere. I've seen it happen. And no, I'm not talking about me ;)

Click on the link below:

https://www.google.com/search?clien...+to+get+over+fear+of+people&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Stop making excuses. Get out and talk to people. Go meet people. Go to therapy if you have to, but get over your fear of people. I have a feeling you are a talented and dedicated filmmaker judging from your first post.

You can meet people on IndieTalk other sites. There are plenty of people in Cali that like film. But be careful, you don't want to be Catfished ;)
Join filmmaking groups near you.
Go to film festivals.
Be a PA on a film.

Click the link:

https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=filmmaker+meetups+cali&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

You'll find loads of helpful stuff here. Google is your friend.

Good luck!

Hello Liv :cool:

You don't need actors to start out. You can go to a park or garden and shoot. Or you could make a short film just using inanimate objects to show emotion through camera angles, music, lighting, and editing. There is a youtube channel called "Film Riot" that did a film competition where you had to use anything but a human to show emotions. People used pets, clay figures, yogurt :D, and many other objects. Perhaps you could do one yourself.

Here's a film just using simple objects, but using camera, editing, and music techniques to show emotion. You could shoot something like this yourself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLj99ZgVMvw

Or like rayw said, animation.

Watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDjTx-BCL-I

You need to get over your fear of people. You aren't going to anywhere as a filmmaker like that. You're going to be a guy sitting away at his computer, doing nothing. I'm not trying to be mean, I'm being honest. People who make that mistake go nowhere. People who are socially awkward and/or make excuses go nowhere. I've seen it happen. And no, I'm not talking about me ;)

Click on the link below:

https://www.google.com/search?clien...+to+get+over+fear+of+people&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Stop making excuses. Get out and talk to people. Go meet people. Go to therapy if you have to, but get over your fear of people. I have a feeling you are a talented and dedicated filmmaker judging from your first post.

You can meet people on IndieTalk other sites. There are plenty of people in Cali that like film. But be careful, you don't want to be Catfished ;)
Join filmmaking groups near you.
Go to film festivals.
Be a PA on a film.

Click the link:

https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=filmmaker+meetups+cali&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

You'll find loads of helpful stuff here. Google is your friend.

Good luck!

Great links!! I watched some of them and let me just say they were fascinating. I suppose I shouldn't be that GIRL who sits behind her computer and doesnt talk to people :D Coincidentaly, my identical twin sister has been in therapy for upwards of 10 years (not sure what that means...)

I would love to try and ask her to act in some short little movies since she's interested in filmmaking too, but she's also terribly camera-shy

Do you (or anyone else) have more information on this site indie talk? Is it like Facebook for filmmakers, or is it another forum? (FYI, I tried the Facebook thing, but panicked and deleted mine after three days). I ask because I really like the idea of getting to know other like minded individuals over the Internet who could be possible future collaborators. That way, some initial awkwardness is dodged, and it's easier to get a quick idea of who someone is and whether or not they would be enjoyable to work with

One again, thanks for all the good advice and nifty links!

:lol::lol::lol::bag: Oops.

Do you (or anyone else) have more information on this site indie talk? Is it like Facebook for filmmakers, or is it another forum? (FYI, I tried the Facebook thing, but panicked and deleted mine after three days). I ask because I really like the idea of getting to know other like minded individuals over the Internet who could be possible future collaborators. That way, some initial awkwardness is dodged, and it's easier to get a quick idea of who someone is and whether or not they would be enjoyable to work with

You can ask questions related to filmmaking, share your work, promote your services, help others in subjects you are more familiar with, talk about movies and filmmaking, and even make friends and connections. If you have something completely unrelated to filmmaking, you can post it in The Lobby.

I've gotten ahold of some composers on IndieTalk that have offered to help me with films. I'm helping someone out with post work right now that I met on IndieTalk. I don't know if it's as social as Facebook, but you can definitely make connections.

Again, you may want to try out going to a filmmaking group (I posted a link to a google search for ones in Cali).

One again, thanks for all the good advice and nifty links!

No problem! :cool:

you can ask questions related to filmmaking, share your work, promote your services, help others in subjects you are more familiar with, talk about movies and filmmaking, and even make friends and connections. If you have something completely unrelated to filmmaking, you can post it in The Lobby.

I've gotten ahold of some composers on IndieTalk that have offered to help me with films. I'm helping someone out with post work right now that I met on IndieTalk. I don't know if it's as social as Facebook, but you can definitely make connections.

Again, you may want to try out going to a filmmaking group (I posted a link to a google search for ones in Cali).

No problem! :cool:

Awesome! I'll check that out too. It's something to definitely think about, even though I'm still on the young side (17). Not so sound repetitive or anything but... Thanks for the great advice :)

Depending upon where you live there may be quite a few film groups from MeetUp.com near you. Oakland has a film group where members show their work. In the Bay area there's a group that arranges various showings up to eight times a month. In San Fran there's the "Make A Film In A Day" group. And on and on.

http://www.meetup.com/find/?keyword...and,+California,+USA&mcId=c94601&sort=default

Great places to network. Get up your courage and go to one. There are lots of folks just like you - somewhat shy and don't know where to start.

And there are all sorts of yoga, support, meditation, spirituality and other "self help" groups.

Yes, it's really hard. You may want to think of it as acting; you play the part of an outgoing person and, all of a sudden, it's semi-reality - it's not as hard as it was. I'm not the most outgoing person myself, but it's an integral part of being in business, getting out there and selling myself and my services, so I had no choice but to get out there and do it.

You have more courage than you know! Go for it!

Depending upon where you live there may be quite a few film groups from MeetUp.com near you. Oakland has a film group where members show their work. In the Bay area there's a group that arranges various showings up to eight times a month. In San Fran there's the "Make A Film In A Day" group. And on and on.

http://www.meetup.com/find/?keyword...and,+California,+USA&mcId=c94601&sort=default

Great places to network. Get up your courage and go to one. There are lots of folks just like you - somewhat shy and don't know where to start.

And there are all sorts of yoga, support, meditation, spirituality and other "self help" groups.

Yes, it's really hard. You may want to think of it as acting; you play the part of an outgoing person and, all of a sudden, it's semi-reality - it's not as hard as it was. I'm not the most outgoing person myself, but it's an integral part of being in business, getting out there and selling myself and my services, so I had no choice but to get out there and do it.

You have more courage than you know! Go for it!

Whoo whee! It's like I've gone through a mini self-help session in the (what has it been) 5 hours or so that I've had this account

Kidding aside, thanks a bunch for your kind words and advice :) it means a lot. And thank you for your kind offer, jgutta

Cheers for that link Alcove, I've found a few groups in New Zealand which I might have a look into!

Liv, I also am incredibly introverted, but I've found filmmaking has helped me come out of my shell (I had to). I also find working with strangers less intimidating that with my friends who arent into film, I'm not sure if that'll apply to you.

On another note, it's cool that you're interested in this and are a woman. I'm in uni, and lots of women are into film here (probably the majority), but the industry itself is hugely dominated by men (and I think this board is too), which i find a little distressing. But i digress... welcome to the board! This is an extremely helpful place :)

learn animation
Animation is awesome, but it is also a collaborative medium. Instead of dealing with a DP and a makeup artist you'll be dealing with a lighting artist and a texture artist etc.

EVERYONE is terrified of talking to new people. Some just more than others. It's all about learning how to minimize that fear.

Teen years are NEVER the same as your 20s. Not for anybody. Most of the time, people who struggle in their teens find their 20s to be MUCH better.

My advice to you is that you work on the technical aspects of filmmaking, while doing your best to reach out to other people. Volunteer to work on other people's productions. Everybody can always use a PA. :)

Like I said, I'm a very introverted person.

You're going to have to get out of your comfort zone and meet some new people. Being introverted will hurt you in both the short term and the long term as a filmmaker.

My wife is also rather introverted. She's increasingly coming out of her shell as time goes on. She stepped up and became a First AD on a short (where she knew almost none of the crew) the other week and loved the experience. It's part of the confidence boost she needed to further step up.

Lucky for you, you're in LA. The access to people involved with filming are everywhere. They're making films down the street, talking to you on forums, communicating with you on Facebook. They're also asking if "You'd like fries with that" every time to order take away.

I suppose I shouldn't be that GIRL who sits behind her computer and doesnt talk to people :D
I would advise that you reconsider your POV on this aspect to more of a predatory "I'm waiting for optimal opportunities before exposing myself to worthwhile risks."
Same actions, different approach and motivation.
Don't talk to people.
I loathe actually talking to people.
People waste my time with incessant babbling about the dumbest irrelevant drivel.
"Chop! Chop! Ten words or less: What?!" :lol:

Coincidentaly, my identical twin sister has been in therapy for upwards of 10 years (not sure what that means...)
Yeah, well... appearances are deceiving. Similar and same are two different things.
You are an individual, not a statistic.
She's her. You're you.
Moving' right along...

I would love to try and ask her to act in some short little movies since she's interested in filmmaking too, but she's also terribly camera-shy
Think of roles that are appropriate for her natural persona, or at least not very far stretches for her.

I ask because I really like the idea of getting to know other like minded individuals over the Internet who could be possible future collaborators. That way, some initial awkwardness is dodged, and it's easier to get a quick idea of who someone is and whether or not they would be enjoyable to work with.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Film_crew
Consider roles in the atmosphere of filmmaking rather than the on-the-nose, high profile, front and center "I'M A FILMMAKER!" role.

I ended up here after spending a couple years at a screenplay writing forum because - I don't like talking to people face-to-face or over the phone, even.

But eventually i learned that writing big budget screenplays is considerably more difficult to sell to anyone for production if you have no track record.
And the best way to have a track record is to write and direct and produce yourself.
But I'm learning after a couple years here that that ain't so easy either.

But I haven't given up on the idea quiiiiiite just yet. :)

Y'know, I'm actually in a similar situation at the moment.

I want to be a filmmaker, but I live in Wisconsin. Almost nobody I know (except for my best friend's wife) is interested in film or video in the slightest. The closest film-related thing to me is the Beloit Film Festival (literally on the edge of Wisconsin and Illinois), and it's going on at a time when I'm too busy with my day job and other things.

So here's what I've started doing...

I've made it a challenge for myself to find something to video. Anything, whether it's just the fishes in my brother's aquarium, shots of cars driving on the road, my brother doing his various hobbies, etc.,. Then I've just been editing them and trying to create some form of story by linking the scenes with music, color grading, etc.,. It's actually pretty stunning when something works out! It doesn't always work, of course, but you do what you can.

I'm doing searches for filmmaker groups in my area, but being fairly rural makes that pretty difficult, especially since I don't yet have my own car. So, I'm just going from day to day, experimenting, researching, learning as much as I can. :)

Hopefully, you'll find a group that will be able to help you! :)

Back