I wanna buy a camera... but i dunno what...

I wanna buy a camera that is great quality image, at a good price (no more than $4000), and that the video captured can be watched on a cinema screen (therefore a big depth of field)(i think thats what you call it)... (obviously if i tryto view video captured from my average camera on a cinema screen it would be really stretched and unclear...)

Hope you get my question:D

well MAD MAN you made me MAD.4k is a lot.. you can buy a great one in 4000 us odllarssearch out JVC site.there are many good cams ...like of 1600 US dollars.....or you may contact RED ONE.they offer CAM of 4k quality.but i dont know the price.......

MadMan, if you can wait and save a few more dollars, you can break out of the HDV ranks and into something with a little better quality than typical HDV. HDV is nice, and you've got serveral prosumer HDV options from Canon and Sony in the $3-4K range.

However!!! and this is important ... if you have $4,000 to spend on everything (not just a camera), then don't spend it all on the camera. There are many accessories, including a good microphone, stabilizer (tripod, etc.), filters, lights, etc. that you'll need some money to purchase.

I've been saying this until I'm blue, but nobody seems to grasp it. Resolution is not everything ... if your audio sucks, nobody will notice the great picture. If your story sucks nobody will sit through your film. If your lighting sucks, nobody will be able to see your picture.

Finally, depth of field does not have anything to do with image resolution. You'll want to save some of your budget for a couple of good books. Some good ones have been recommended here. It might pay for you to buy a book now, do some reading, and then decide how to spend your money. There is nothing more frustrating than spending all of your money on a really nice camera and finding you don't have what you need to make use of it. There is a lot to know about cinematography, lighting, preproduction, production, and post production. The more you know, the more wisely you can utilize your budget.

Doug

I wanna buy a camera that is great quality image, at a good price (no more than $4000), and that the video captured can be watched on a cinema screen (therefore a big depth of field)(i think thats what you call it)...
That's what you call it. And it's not the camera that gives you depth of field, it's the lens.

So you need a camera with a removable lens. Only JVC and Canon offer that in a camera
in your price range. I own the JVC HD110, which I highly recommend. But more people
use and like the Canon cameras so do your research on those, too.

However, there have been several successful movies made in standard def that have been
on the cinema screens.

Inland Empire, Sony PD-150
Open Water, Sony PD-150
The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra, Canon XL-1
28 Days Later, Canon XL-1S
Pieces of April, Sony PD-150
Bamboozled, Sony VX 1000 PAL
Book Of Life, Sony VX1000 (NTSC)
Chuck & Buck, Sony VX1000 PAL
Dancer In The Dark, Sony PD 100 & Sony DXC D30WS PAL
Final, Canon XL-1 PAL
Chelsea Walls, Sony PD100 PAL
Full Frontal, Canon XL1s PAL
Hotel, Sony PD 100 & PD150 PAL
Time Code, Sony DSR-1
Supersize Me, Sony PD150
November, Panasonic DVX 100

My point is, if you make a good enough movie (even using a standard def camera)
it can be good enough to be on a cinema screen.

Depth of Field is the range, near to far, measured from the focal plane of the camera to the subject, where there is adequate sharpness that the image appears to be in focus. DOF is not determined strictly by the lens. It is determined by the size of the focal plane, and lens aperture setting. Given that most video camera lenses operate in roughly the same aperture range, I would argue that the size of the focal plane is a bigger issue when purchasing a camera.

I also do not see how DOF determines what looks good on a large screen.

Doug

I also do not see how DOF determines what looks good on a large screen.
Quite to the contrary, 35mm has a very limited DOF; much shorter than any prosumer video camera that has not been outfitted with a 35mm adapter, and it is the look of 35mm that everyone associates with the big screen.

However!!! and this is important ... if you have $4,000 to spend on everything (not just a camera), then don't spend it all on the camera. There are many accessories, including a good microphone, stabilizer (tripod, etc.), filters, lights, etc. that you'll need some money to purchase.

I agree here! There are even little things that you might remember as well.

A tape rewinder: once you use it, you will appreciate having it
on-camera light: in case you are unable to get a kit into some places
BATTERIES!: my best ones cost about $100 but they are worth it
various cables: XLR's, firewires, at various lengths. You don't need alot, but you will need some
professional tape stock

about the tripod: get a 'system', this way you won't have to purchase a tripod head separately

good for you on your new camera!
-- spinner :cool:

Back