I need to hook up my camera to an external monitor

I'm doing a shot where two people open up a chest and the camera is inside the chest. Im using a blackmagic pocket camera, so there is no flip LCD, so I cant frame the shot. Is there a cheap solution to this?

thanks

Try shooting it blind. Do some tests and place the camera within the chest, then have someone open it. Look at the footage after you shoot it and see if it looks fine.

If that presents too much trouble, you might want to invest into an external monitor.

Yup, micro HDMI > HDMI cable, then connect to whatever you have handy for a display with HDMI input. A cheap TV would work fine.

Of course, if you want something better, look at getting a lilliput (on the low end) or maybe a smallHD or an EVF (Alphatron or Cineroid, for example)

Might be a little silly to splurge for one of those EVFs since they'd cost more than your camera did, but you can use them with other cameras too... *shrug*

Lilliput 7" is probably your best bet for cheap-ish, portable, and good enough monitoring. I just sold mine to a friend recently in anticipation of an upgrade later this year. I'm fairly certain is was this model: http://www.amazon.com/Lilliput-665g...UTF8&qid=1394398846&sr=8-10&keywords=lilliput

You'll note, that comes with the HDMI cable you need to use it with your camera too, and it's got a nice collapsible sun hood and some other fairly nice features for the price.

The buddy I sold it to did a test with it on the second day after buying it, (battery charged for the entire first day) he said he got about 9hrs of operation from the one battery.

EDIT: Scratch that, it comes with a MINI-HDMI to HMDI, not MICRO-HDMI to HDMI.. so you'd still need a cable, but for the price it's still a pretty nice monitor.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
You could always do it the (still used often) old-fashioned way, if you don't wanna spring for a monitor:

http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html

Just need a tape measure. :)

Edit: On second thought, that doesn't solve the actual framing. Still, if you know the lenses you're using, you ought to be familiar with the degree of view.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Back