• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

I need opinions on exporting to DVD

I have exported my projects to DVD before, but I've always felt that I was doing it in a strange combination of FCP and iMovie. I have yet to use the compressor program that comes with the FCP suite or the DVD program.

So my situation is that I have an important project that needs to be given to my client. I would like to make sure that the export is as good as I can make it.

Should I just export QT and import to iDVD or would compressor make a better export? I could do it this evening if I go the way I have been.

I would love some opinions on exporting, anybody got one? :D

-- spinner :cool:

What I do with the FCP suite which I believe will give you the best result is to export a QuickTime movie of your film, this serves as a master version. Import your master into compressor and drag the DVD preset that best suits your movie timescale (eg 90 minute for anything less than 90 mins), once you have done this convert and import your assets into DVD studio pro (there should be a video and sound file) once here you can either create a menu or not, then burn :) .

I know what I would like to have as a setting and as a destination, but I can't seem to activate them so that I can submit.

I am also following the manuals but the "drop down" menus are not where the books say they should be.

Compressor says to drag and drop, but I can't seem to do it and I can't seem to figure out what I am doing incorrectly.

I guess that is another thing I'll have to figure out how to do better...

-- spinner :cool:

If you can, export from FCP straight to compressor, skipping the intermediate file. You'll be double compressing the video if you do that.

Compressor is a little akward... Look for the DVD preset you want to use then just drag it straight to the video.

Also, if you use DVD studio it will do a better job than iDVD. If you've never used it, it asks you if you want the "easy" "medium" or "advanced" interface. Easy is pretty similar to iDVD, advanced gives you lots of control.

Back