I Need Answers...

My friend and I were having a talk the other day. And he said that since I didn't register a copyright for "Ping-Pong Master" (my debut short), anybody could use the movie, images, footage, whatever, and there's nothing I could do about it, because I don't have proof that I'm the owner or anything.

I disagreed with him and said since I created the images, the movie, I'm the owner of the footage. If somebody DID use my footage or my movie without my consent, I would have proof that I'm the creator. That would be through EVERYONE who owns a copy, EVERYONE who helped on the project, etc., the billing date of the hard copy DVDs, the fact that I have it on Createspace, the created date of the images and files on my hard drive...

I was a little frustrated. And I think I'm right, but he said unless I register a copyright, I could do nothing about it if somebody wanted to use the movie or the footage because, he says "movies and music are different than books". Really?

Okay... so could y'all help me out here. Am I right, or is he?

Thank you. Whew... I need a drink now.

Your friend owes you said drink:
http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-general.html
Copyright is the same for books and movie and music. It's yours. If someone infringes, you can get them to stop. However:

"Why should I register my work if copyright protection is automatic?
Registration is recommended for a number of reasons. Many choose to register their works because they wish to have the facts of their copyright on the public record and have a certificate of registration. Registered works may be eligible for statutory damages and attorney's fees in successful litigation."

So, don't register, you can get them to stop. Register, and you can get them to stop and pay for the trouble, if I'm understanding this correctly. I am not a lawyer. And could also use a drink.

he said unless I register a copyright, I could do nothing about it if somebody wanted to use the movie or the footage because, he says "movies and music are different than books". Really?
I'll be the third who says your friend owes you a drink - he is wrong.

Movies and music are NOT different than books.
Even if you do not register the copyright you still can "do something"
if someone violates your copyright.
Finally, I'll be the third to say that by not registering your copyright
and getting an "official" date it might be more difficult to defend yourself,
but not impossible. The law is on YOUR side even if you have not officially
registered.

Make sure you order something really expensive.

Back