I HATE FCP 7.03

AAAARRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bring on FCP Xi. Can't stand 7.03 anymore. It's way too buggy and now it is unsupported by Apple's new OS, I think it's time to move on. I just loathe the d@mn thing. So problematic, crashes, painful etc..., even with my i7, souped up MacBook Pro.

There are simply a plethora of massively time-consuming bugs which cause me a huge amount of grief. What's worse is I've used or seen other people use NLEs such as Premiere, Avid etc... and none of them have the same, annoying crashes / bugs.

Just give me half an hour in the room with the creator and a length of lead pipe. I'd talk about adding a camera and filming it but it's pointless as the footage would just be eaten by FCP 7.03.

* Rant Over *

Thank you for listening... and I'm going with FCP Xi. It can't be any worse than 7.03 can it? And is there a preference for anything other than Premiere, Avid and FCP Xi?

From everything that I've heard, the new FCP isn't worth getting. I don't say this from experience, but it sounds like you better consider migrating to another piece of software.

I've certainly heard mixed reviews on FCP X, but most of the bad comes from people who upgraded when it first came out. It's since gotten a few updates making it not suck -- or so I hear, I've not used it myself.

Creative Cloud is only $50/month for full access to every adobe product, seems a decent deal actually.

There's a reason why my two systems are on Snow Leopard and Lion respectively and will never be upgraded.

Right now, I'm spending 5 hours on something that should only take 20 minutes. Simply because FCP 7.03 is only partially working.

95% of the footage is fine, rendered correctly etc... but 5% is just nonsense - for no reason at all!!!!!! It is driving me nuts.

Just give me half an hour in the room with the creator and a length of lead pipe.

That'd be adobe… they started it, then sold to macromedia, then apple bought it in the early 90s. It's not that different than when adobe made it. It's the single least "Apple-y" interface of any of their applications… because they didn't create it.

What are the problems you're having? I'm on 7.0.3 on both snow leopard (10.7.5) and Mavericks (10.9) and having no problems with it. Perhaps I (we) can help alleviate your problems and get you back to cutting happily.

If it doesn't work with the new OS, that is apple's fault, not the creators of FCP.
Windows is no better, last year I was trying to support a computer that used the new windows OS.. bunch of WEBSITES wouldn't work the the computer. It was insane, I've never seen anything like it.

I had to emulate windows 7 inside of 8 for one website, and then inside of 7 i had to emulate XP for another website!! (yes these were government websites, surprise surprise)

I called it. .. winception

Just give me half an hour in the room with the creator and a length of lead pipe.
Using FCP 7.0.3 on the correct OS is still easy. I have a dedicated
machine just for FCP. Your mistake is tiring to use it on Lion (or above).

I've tried the most recent version of FCPX – you're right Will, the new
updates make it not suck, but it's still just software for the ambitious
amateur and not for a professional.

If it doesn't work with the new OS, that is apple's fault, not the creators of FCP.

Apple were the creators, or at least maintainers of FCP. Also if a piece of software doesn't work with a new OS, it's on the developer to update the software so it does work. And if the end user decides not to use that software, then it basically becomes the end-user's fault.

You can't get angry at Windows because your 11 Monkey Island floppy discs don't work on Windows 8..

Also if a piece of software doesn't work with a new OS, it's on the developer to update the software so it does work. And if the end user decides not to use that software, then it basically becomes the end-user's fault.

The responsibility for a developer ends with the current version of the software. They would update FCP X if it had a problem with a new OS, but they don't have to go back and update FCP 1 because it doesn't work anymore.

I guess it's just an unfortunate result of the software ecosystem.

The responsibility for a developer ends with the current version of the software. They would update FCP X if it had a problem with a new OS, but they don't have to go back and update FCP 1 because it doesn't work anymore.

I guess it's just an unfortunate result of the software ecosystem.

Exactly. Here, an entirely outdated (by over two years) version of software is being attacked because it doesn't work with a <6 month old OS, and there are newer versions available.

It's annoying for sure, but realistically neither Apple nor the software developer are to blame.

Using FCP 7.0.3 on the correct OS is still easy. I have a dedicated
machine just for FCP. Your mistake is tiring to use it on Lion (or above).

I've tried the most recent version of FCPX – you're right Will, the new
updates make it not suck, but it's still just software for the ambitious
amateur and not for a professional.

I have no choice. Either the software I use for a day job doesn't work or FCP 7.03 doesn't work.

No choice in this case.

If the most recent version actually works then I'll buy it. It's better than having something that doesn't work.

Exactly. Here, an entirely outdated (by over two years) version of software is being attacked because it doesn't work with a <6 month old OS, and there are newer versions available.

It's annoying for sure, but realistically neither Apple nor the software developer are to blame.

Seriously? If Apple had mentioned this when I bought it, I wouldn't have bought it. Oh, and I work in the software industry so I know this is not SOP.

Noted. I'll plan on getting the creative cloud subscription then when the time comes. :)

Creative Cloud is the bomb. I learnt to edit on Premiere and quite soon after on Final Cut Pro 6. Jumped onto CS4 when it appeared and have been with CC since it existed. I am on the student price which is a bit nicer, but I seriously recommend switching. I use Premiere, After Effects and Photoshop each almost daily so well worth it for me anyway. Some of the other programs I use on a ~weekly basis too depending on my project needs.

There's actually a FCP keyboard shortcut preset within Premiere for those afraid of a few different letters on the keyboard :D

I'm still actively avoiding the FCPx software until they give me a few specific things… like the software they've killed off (Shake, Color, Soundtrack Pro)… until that happens, I'm not comfortable using a "not specifically designed for the task" interface to do these extremely detail intensive tasks in a clunky end-user interface.

I'm on Lion and FCP 7.0.3, Shake, Color and STP and they work for me. Again, what are the specific issues, I'd love to help and have a background in Macintosh support (Apple certified repair tech for many years).

I'm still actively avoiding the FCPx software until they give me a few specific things… like the software they've killed off (Shake, Color, Soundtrack Pro)… until that happens, I'm not comfortable using a "not specifically designed for the task" interface to do these extremely detail intensive tasks in a clunky end-user interface.

I'm on Lion and FCP 7.0.3, Shake, Color and STP and they work for me. Again, what are the specific issues, I'd love to help and have a background in Macintosh support (Apple certified repair tech for many years).

Thanks but have a list of problems as long as your arm, some of which have only appeared since updating to the new OS.

Back