I got talked into...

writing and directing a short film based on the "Cops" tv series that shows a documentary style shoot of a group of cops that do a drug bust. At first we discussed a humorous twist, but all of the sudden we have a real ex-cop from LAPD for the expert and maybe even a real helicopter to use for the SWAT or special ops raid or even "Feds coming to the rescue" with special ops.

Again this is a very low budget, so I have calls in to my crew to see if they want to participate on a weekend in Nov. for no pay. (I hate not paying my crew). I'm going to hit up a friend to chip in $2K for expenses and give him the "Exec. Producer" title. Even though we are going for the handheld look, I still want the production values to be there, so I do plan for lav's and a boom with a mixer and using my 1st AD's 3/4 ton truck for lighting. I also plan to have a decent editor and some music written without the stupid computer music. Another friend is going to talk to a friend of his who has a helicopter we might be able to use, and if we shoot it with the doors closed, we can load in the actors on the ground and not have them in the air at any time, but get some great shots of the pilot landing the helicopter and the special ops leaving the back shortly after landing with some decent camera work, especially hand-held. My two camera buds have their own XL-1's.

I have to write the first draft by next week so I can get the EP to kick in some cash. We are going to some very interesting places in Ft. Worth for some older buildings that have an intersting look and are not in use. Going location scouting Sunday afternoon.

Insurance is out and we will probably will do a SAG experimental just to protect a couple of good actors, but that might also have some insurance requirements. I can't remember.

I'm such a soft touch. Guess it's because I haven't directed anything in a year's time.

WC

Guess it's because I haven't directed anything in a year's time

Good luck with this and I sure know that one. This year has all been community video projects, so it's been nearly a year for me since I did any grown up directing. I really miss it.

...it's a good thing to have friends who can help out. I got some important pieces of equipment from friends of mine and they will never know how much I appreciate it.....

...and good luck, it sounds great...

--spinner :cool:

Zensteve,

Good advice. Only the DP & I will be allowed inside the helicopter when its in the air. When it's on the ground I will load in the SWAT team and have them open the door and pile out and edit so that you can't tell. I'll shoot the SWAT team preparing inside the chopper but they will be on the ground. Safety first.

Now to find some AR-15's, AK-47's and MP-5's that are a blank only weapon with restrictors for safety reasons. Safety first.

Last edited:
hey cool gig good luck!
lol I'm from Fort Worthless too (well if you aren't and just visiting, then good for you ha!)

Well if you want that old building look, the TCU area is a good choice, but those buildings are old and "scholarly" looking. TCU is off of University a mile or two south of I-30.

Now if you want some TRUE Cops locations, something that actually reminds me of the show, up and down Rosedale is choice material, near and around the TWU campus (Texas Wesleyn University - East on Rosedale about a couple of miles).

Another fantastic old (and possibly remodeled) are the big ones in downtown, you can see them at I-30 and I-35 interchange (especially south 35 ramp to west 30 - on your right).

If you are looking for some old stripmall type buildings, that still have the 70s BIG neon lights close to the street, I would have to suggest Haltom City (northeast side of FW). - from 820 take Denton Hwy south several miles, and you get into an older and near untouched 70s version of a small town.

And finally, ah and my favorite too, would have to be the old Mont Wards bldg on 2600 W.7th street.

If you haven't seen this site yet, its packed with images and seven different FW areas to view from...
http://www.fortwortharchitecture.com/

You may already know all this, just trying to help out!

- Douglas

Douglas,

Thanks for the suggestions. Good ones, too. We are going to a couple of places around the old south FW area off Rosedale, near the stockyards, etc. Haltom City is a good suggestion. One of my 2nd cousins is a cop with Haltom City. I live in Richland Hills.

Noticed your profile. We will need music with this one, so let's get some coffee and talk.

Have you been to Grapevine? Talk about a good place to shoot and they are very film friendly.

Randy aka WC

Darn thing is beginning to have a life of it's own. Premise is growing and I will need to write the script very soon. Trying to determine if there are sufficient actors int he DFW area to pull it off. The talent pool here is wide, but just not very "deep". May have to lobby Austin, since I can't afford to fly out actors from L.A.

Spoke to SAG, and they do not require Workman's Comp here in TX and won't require liability insurance. Still will try without liability ins. if possible, but may be able to talk the Exec. Prod. into spending the money for it.

Think I'll shoot the helicopter landing with the door shut so you can't see the SWAT team inside, and then shoot the door opening on the ground with the black op's guys pouring out while the helicopter is on the ground for safety's sake. I can still shoot them from inside the helicopter while ont he ground prep'ing for landing, etc. and also shoot from behind the pilot's head during a landing and intercut the two scenes. (magic stuff)

I also have some ideas I'm considering, but won't place them on an open forum, but will discuss them with my crew. Try to shoot on a 3-4 day shoot on weekends in Nov. before Thanksgiving and the Deep Ellum Film festival that I'm involved with this year.

Any suggestions for comments are welcome.

WC

Ah Grapevine, sad to say that I don't stop by too often but I do drive through it regularly (Haltom City to Lewisville on 121). But I only really know the mall area, not the actual city/town of Grapevine.

Yes we should get together over the music, and I wish I could offer some acting advice for the DFW area, but I don't deal much with casting so there isn't much advice I can give. Good luck though! I'd like to see some early footage whenever you get around to filming it.

You said you have a relative on the Haltom City force, eh? Gosh I think that poor police department deals with as much crazy stuff as Dallas does.

- Douglas

Ever think your schedule was too aggressive? No money is place and no set locaions are confirmned, but you know what the outdoor weather will be like, so you set the dates in order to meet them?

are we crazy or what?

Back