I feel like such an old man...

I have a Sony Fx7 and I know it better than my last girlfriend. I can tell you what just about every button and setting does and how I'd use it, etc, etc...

But this fricken' iPod... That's another story....

My friend gave me an 8 gig iPod touch to borrow, and I swear to you the only thing I can do is turn it on, open the YouTube app, and turn it back off....

I'm 22 >.<

Last edited:
Hey. If you can find iBooks (top left of the first screen, I believe), search there for a user manual. It'll be free and it might help you out...

If not, get onto the AppStore, download Angry Birds ($0.99 in the US (I think)) and stick with that! That's all you need an iPod for anyway!

If it makes you feel any better, that whole "8GB" thing gets me every once in a while. I remember my first computer with a hard drive...of 8MB (a 286...I was so excited about not having to boot from DOS disks every time).

I'm not that much older (34), and I know there are some real old tech hands on this board. It just astounds me every time I think of, say, a Terrabyte hard drive selling for around $100. I picture that in floppies (5.25", double sided, natch, since that's what my C64 ran). There really are no words.

It is all state of mind! I am laughing, John, your only 22? I am 61 years of age, (but can pass easily for 40 -- call it genes, lifestyle or just friggin' luck), and I love technology!

And yes, I even love (home theater) 3D! Most people on this forum hate 3D...

IPads are just awesome, my birthday is coming up, My wife has me on a tight string these days, cause I love high-tech gadgets... My son has Verizon 4G setup with a Samsung Galaxy, that too is awesome! Watch almost anything -- anywhere! HDMI out to our 73" -- (netflix) great picture with no buffering. Skype with my nephews in Alaska or Hawaii, Colorado and Boston -- wow. I have a MacPro Quad core with 4 Tb hard drives and 24 GB Ram (I use it for everything from creating music in GarageBand to editing HD and burning BluRay... Tb hard drives are now well under $100.00. TOYS! And we are not rich! BUT we always shop around, get lucky at times -- you make your own luck sometimes by waiting for the right time to buy.

With gas prices so high a few years back, we bought Fusion Hybrid and Honda Civic Hybrid (when prices were lower -- we got great deals) -- we fill the tanks up once a month, save a fortune. I love technology!

If I could only pull the cash together for a Red... buy one of those babies at 50% off. I am laughing.

John, what are you and others going to do when you're all 61? Envious, I would love to be able to play with those gadgets in 2050!

That is funny I know a guy that is 65 that can use the iphone 3gs. You just need to do a google search if you are having problems. I thought the iphone was very intuitive.

i will give you some ideas here.

How To Add Songs to IPod in your iPhone is below

First you need to sync your phone to your computer by plugging cable to computer via usb. Next use itunes which should auto launch once you plug in cord. Second use itunes to rip cds or buy songs via store. Click in the itunes menu on your computer browser where it says devices it should say iphone. Click where it says music in the above menu on computer in itunes. Now you should be able to choose what songs to add to your phone. Put a check mark by album you want to add to your phone. Then hit synce button to add to your phone once you have choosen what you want on the bottom right hand part of the computer screen.

To use wi fi connection on phone. If you have a wireless router in your house you will want to set your phone up to use that connection when you are home. You can do that in settings under the icon that looks like a gear. If Wi Fi is on it looks for the nearest wifi connections. It connect if you choose the wifi connection you want and use your password that you have for the router. If you are using your phone away from the house turn off the wi fi so that it will connect via the phone instead of the wi fi.

Use safari icon as your browser for internet.

Use ipod icon to play music.

Use youtube icon for youtube.

camera icon if for pictures video

utilities has a few functions you may want like using the alarm, calculator, or voice recorder

Use the itunes icon to download songs away from home or apps. You will need to know your itunes accounts password to the store. You probably will want to sign up for an itunes account on your computer that way you know your password.

Apps you may want to get right away Flixster, Yelp, Pandora, redbox, facebook, angry birds. Those are free apps. Angry Bird has a free version and a paid version that is 99 cents.

In your internet browser safari on the bottom of the screen you will see icons. The left and right arrows are forward and back buttons for the browser. The box with an arrow is for adding book marks and adding website icon to the home screen. The double box thing that has a number icon is for looking at all the web pages you have open you can use this to change to other pages you have open.

Hold the button on top of your phone long enough and the phone will completely shut down.

I suggest browsing through your user guide for your phone and doing google searches if you have anymore questions.

Hey. If you can find iBooks (top left of the first screen, I believe), search there for a user manual. It'll be free and it might help you out...

If not, get onto the AppStore, download Angry Birds ($0.99 in the US (I think)) and stick with that! That's all you need an iPod for anyway!

Pretty much.

I sometimes struggle with aspects of technology and even internet things that come ridiculously easy to people who are only ten years younger than me. I can grasp something eventually, but it's always a little disconcerting when that happens. Thankfully it's not too terribly often.

I'm thinking the problem I was having was the last iPod I played with was a first gen, and I had it stuck in my head that's the way an iPod works. Now with the touch, all the apps and stuff were standing out. And I was treating it like an external hard drive, not an Apple product and was attempting to add music without interfacing with iTunes. Not to mention the "old man" aspect came in- i.e. I had decided it was all bullshit I wouldn't need.

3 Hours with it and I've got my music on it, can access my email, and YouTube. Now that I've warmed up to the technology it's got I'm quite enjoying the idea that I can pull up a video where ever I am, instead of saying, "I saw this great short on youtube, it went like this...."

The only problem I'm having now is the size. Its amazing that everything involved is only as thick as 5 credit cards, but I'd like a bigger screen. Maybe I should be looking into iPads now.

Ah, technology, I do love its poisonous bite.

I have a Sony Fx7 and I know it better than my last girlfriend. I can tell you what just about every button and setting does and how I'd use it, etc, etc...

But this fricken' iPod... That's another story....

My friend gave me an 8 gig iPod touch to borrow, and I swear to you the only thing I can do is turn it on, open the YouTube app, and turn it back off....

I'm 22 >.<

Don't feel bad, I am planning on giving a Ipod touch for Christmas, and that will be our FIRST real "Ipod" tech that we've ever owned. I'm pretty much one "tech" level behind everyone else. So you are actually ahead of me, I haven't even turned one on yet!

Don't feel bad, I am planning on giving a Ipod touch for Christmas, and that will be our FIRST real "Ipod" tech that we've ever owned. I'm pretty much one "tech" level behind everyone else. So you are actually ahead of me, I haven't even turned one on yet!

I've been wanting to say this for a while, but any time I thought of it, it was in an actual discussion post;

That mask seriously freaks me out.

emoticon_thumbsup.gif

(We need a Thumbs Up emote here...)

I've been wanting to say this for a while, but any time I thought of it, it was in an actual discussion post;

That mask seriously freaks me out.

emoticon_thumbsup.gif

(We need a Thumbs Up emote here...)

What's funny is I don't go out my way to make them creepy at all-the avatar is from my latest short film I am working on-and it's not horror, it's about someone waiting for a visitor. Yet I get the comment a fair bit about my masks-maybe it's just the total lack of expression on them. I will thank you for the compliment ;)

The short films I have done involve masked characters going about their daily lives-I like trying to use masks as a way of expression in stories :)

What's funny is I don't go out my way to make them creepy at all-the avatar is from my latest short film I am working on-and it's not horror, it's about someone waiting for a visitor. Yet I get the comment a fair bit about my masks-maybe it's just the total lack of expression on them. I will thank you for the compliment ;)

The short films I have done involve masked characters going about their daily lives-I like trying to use masks as a way of expression in stories :)

Blank expressions, faces that lie on the edge of the Uncanny Valley, all of them freak me out, something about them....

I remember this one short I was working on, and we were filming at this beautiful old farm house, which was owned by a friendly old widow. Well, about part way through the shoot I took off for a bathroom call, which I thought was down the hall, third door on the right, but I wound up in a spare bedroom FILLED wall to wall with old porcelain dolls. And, for some reason, they all had their heads turned towards the door. 0.o

Back