I feel a bit of a fraud... but hello everyone

I don't think of myself as a writer. I have always struggled with writing and this has caused me to never really consider it as an undertaking. I feel far more comfortable and confident in the more visual arts, illustration, design and composition, and it was through this route that I got into film and film creation. However, film is not solely a visual medium, so I guess it was inevitable that, at some point, I would be driven to dipping my toe into the dreaded writing world.
I shot a low (no) budget film several years ago, let me correct that, it wasn't a film, it was a sequence of images, that I hope would cohere into a structured visual narrative, which it did... to a point. After many, many hours trying to piece together an edit, it became very evident that I was lacking the glue of good dialogue, and there was no option other than re-shoots with scripted interaction between the characters to carry the story. I began writing what I hoped would be the missing element, in the form of a ten minute conversational script. This, as I expected, was not as simple as i would have hoped, based entirely on lack of ability, but I persevered. It also became quickly apparent that I needed to write more than just the ten minutes I wanted for the film, for the dialogue to make sense, I also needed to write a certain amount of 'back story' and descriptive explanation. Anyway, to, as they say, cut a long story short, I am now 70+ pages into my '10min' script.
I don't consider myself a writer, even with months and months of constant writing under my belt, every single word, on every one of those 70+ pages, had to be almost physically extracted from my person, it's painful, but surprisingly (to me most of all) I am finding it very enjoyable and fulfilling.
I intend to finish the script at the obligatory 90 page mark, which is looming, but to get past this last hurdle I might need a tiny spot of help, hence registering with Indietalk and reaching out to, what appears to be, a rich and knowledgeable community.
I hope you can help me, I look forward to getting 'stuck in'.
Cheers everyone

I don't think of myself as a writer. I have always struggled with writing and this has caused me to never really consider it as an undertaking. I feel far more comfortable and confident in the more visual arts, illustration, design and composition, and it was through this route that I got into film and film creation. However, film is not solely a visual medium, so I guess it was inevitable that, at some point, I would be driven to dipping my toe into the dreaded writing world.
I shot a low (no) budget film several years ago, let me correct that, it wasn't a film, it was a sequence of images, that I hope would cohere into a structured visual narrative, which it did... to a point. After many, many hours trying to piece together an edit, it became very evident that I was lacking the glue of good dialogue, and there was no option other than re-shoots with scripted interaction between the characters to carry the story. I began writing what I hoped would be the missing element, in the form of a ten minute conversational script. This, as I expected, was not as simple as i would have hoped, based entirely on lack of ability, but I persevered. It also became quickly apparent that I needed to write more than just the ten minutes I wanted for the film, for the dialogue to make sense, I also needed to write a certain amount of 'back story' and descriptive explanation. Anyway, to, as they say, cut a long story short, I am now 70+ pages into my '10min' script.
I don't consider myself a writer, even with months and months of constant writing under my belt, every single word, on every one of those 70+ pages, had to be almost physically extracted from my person, it's painful, but surprisingly (to me most of all) I am finding it very enjoyable and fulfilling.
I intend to finish the script at the obligatory 90 page mark, which is looming, but to get past this last hurdle I might need a tiny spot of help, hence registering with Indietalk and reaching out to, what appears to be, a rich and knowledgeable community.
I hope you can help me, I look forward to getting 'stuck in'.
Cheers everyone
Please change your headline and belief in yourself!;) You wrote a lot, but I don't get what the hurdle is, the last 20 pages? you can reach out to me and I can see if I can help you.

Back