• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

I don't know much about cameras

Is there any benefit to shooting on a red one other than the fact that there is 4k?
What else is there besides resolution to look at in a camera?

If you don't know much about cameras... buy a T3i, learn it like it's the back of your hand and what makes it work.

Then you'll start to learn what makes a camera good or not once you learn it's advantages and pitfalls.

OR you could just hire a DP who will pick the camera he likes to work with the most.

Is there any benefit to shooting on a red one other than the fact that there is 4k?

When you're comparing to nothing, the difference is substantial. It's hard to record an image on thin air.

What Sky says has a lot of merit for your situation.

Your question is akin to asking, "What else apart from the number of doors is there to look at when buying a car.' That'll change if you're buying a racing car, a vehicle for off road racing, shopping and the list continues.

Each camera has their strengths and weaknesses. To get an idea, read through the forum. Learn something first and then ask some more specific questions and the camera guys may just answer with some useful information.

The answer to most of your filming questions is: "It depends". The Red One will be wasteful overkill in some circumstances and in others, it'll be woefully inadequate. It'll help if you say what you're shooting.

I have a Canon 60D and a Panasonic GH4 and for a lot of jobs I go with the Canon. As the previous posters said, it all depends on what you need.

A lot of the corporate jobs I do just need a basic 720p or 1080p web output so I go with the 60D. If they need more I'll use the GH4.

For a lot of narratives I'd use the GH4 mainly for easier post production for the editor. I find it easier to get the look the director wants.

Then there's a friend/ colleague of mine that uses a 650D (t4i in the US market i believe) for 90% of his work and rents bigger if they need broadcast. (Usually a Canon XF300).

Everything depends on what you need and 1 or even 2 cameras will not be suited for every scenario. Just go with the flow and use what you need for each particular job.

Also what Sky said about using the t3i is a very good point.

Lots of things. For image quality, here are a few terms you can google: dynamic range, bitrate, bit depth, video codec, color space, chroma subsampling, raw video.

Besides image, there's ergonomics, lens mount, input/output (like HDMI, XLR).

...and lots more.

Back