I don't have time for school

I've asked a couple of people on private messages asking for a friendly advice . But now I want some discussion .

I am 17 years old and I am still in high school . I was off school for 10 days ( we started 17th of September) since the school itself wanted me to do a promotional video for them .

Then a local newspaper wanted me to shoot a couple of things so I was off for 4 days more .

For the next 2 months alone I am going to be focus puller on a 20 minute short film with big cast and crew and it is going to be submitted in a couple of festivals.

I am doing my own short film which I plan to submit on 3 Bulgarian festivals and I am doing a freelance work which means I barely have the time to sleep .

Not only that but I am going to work on a feature film which is getting theatrical release as a PA ( nothing fancy , but still we have like 19 hours shooting a day ) .

To shoot all these things I have to travel to the capital which means that there is no way i'll go to school .

Not only that I am incredibly busy with the filmmaking , but my business company is going to be participating in both regional and national competitions in December .

On top of everything after being involved in exchange program to Denmark , there is a very good chance that they will finance me to travel back to Denmark to make a promotional video for their school.

I just don't have the time for school .

I want everyone to understand that I am not saying that I will quit school . Quitting school is out of question.

I can't tell you what a waste of time school is . Kids my age who get wasted all the time ,their intellectual capabilities are just the same as a 5 year old and they still have great grades . Teachers hate their job because they were studying like crazy when they were my age . They have no clue what they are talking about in school and you can see how they are bored to death while being there . I don't know what is the education system in the other countries , but I am absolutely sure that most of the things that I study are complete nonsense and absolute waste of time .

I don't know what should I do .

50% of the people tell me to follow my dreams and goals since school is not that important anymore , the other 50% are my parents and teachers who tell me that I doomed myself ( if you could say that ) to a horrible life where I will struggle finding a job .

However I completely love what I do and even if everybody here tells me to leave filmmaking and go back to school I'll probably completely ignore the advice if I am 100% honest , but I still want your opinion.

Thanks .

I know I have asked this question a few times to a couple of forum members but I think right now is the moment that I struggle the most in school .

Thanks again .

I want everyone to understand that I am not saying that I will quit school . Quitting school is out of question. (...) if everybody here tells me to leave filmmaking and go back to school I'll probably completely ignore the advice

Sounds like you quit school, to me. :huh:

The advice you won't take is that you should finish your equivelent highschool at least, so if your leap into filmmaking doesn't work out, at least you'll be qualified to jump straight into college.

Good luck :)

I personally think you should at least complete your high school equivalent. Sounds like that's not far away anyway.

Whilst it seems pointless, and 'not fun' - it's easy to turn down a couple of gigs now. It's not so easy to return to school and finish your high school certificate down the track when you're a bit/a lot older. These days, you need it for a lot more than you used to, including some VISA programs.

I know it seems like turning down a gig now will ruin your entire career, but the reality is you're only 17 and realistically have many, many years ahead on awesome sets. Turning down jobs doesn't hurt your career, especially if it's to complete your schooling.

No-one's telling you to quit filmmaking, and I don't assume anyone would. I think sound advice is to finish high school, whilst still being as involved as you can in filmmaking and then focus even more on your film career.

However I completely love what I do and even if everybody here tells me to leave filmmaking and go back to school I'll probably completely ignore the advice if I am 100% honest , but I still want your opinion.

Thanks .

I know I have asked this question a few times to a couple of forum members but I think right now is the moment that I struggle the most in school .

Thanks again .

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you're 17 then you're probably going to be done school soon anyways. Perhaps you'll be done for good. Also, to go back to school doesn't necessarily mean you're "giving up" or "quitting."

These aspirations of yours don't have an expiration date. If you really want to keep all of your doors opened, see your high school education through to the end.

Back