I don't always get on reddit...

Locks with electronics attached always drive me up the wall:

Situation #1) Shooting the lock's panel short-circuits the bolt, and the door springs open allowing passage.

Situation #2) Shooting the lock's panel short-circuits the bolt, and fuses it shut preventing passage.

Make your mind up, screenwriters! :mad:

Someone alluded to the ticking time bomb cliche, with the hero disarming it at the last possible second. That one's been around so long they can carbon date it -- yet it's still written into every other action movie, and by people who ought to know better!

Of course, in the modern version, the hero doesn't disarm the bomb. Instead, he carries it a safe distance away just before it detonates. We think he's dead, but he miraculously survives.

I couldn't believe it when I watched The Dark Knight Rises and saw that Christopher Nolan of all people went with that clunker! As soon as the bomb turned up with the stupid digital readout I thought, "Et tu, Nolan?" I figured he'd pull something out of left field and surprise me. Nope. Rode that idiotic cliche all the way to the finish line.

Afterward, I thought, haven't I seen that somewhere before? Oh, yeah. About a month earlier in a movie called The Avengers, written by Joss Whedon, whose previous work had been all about turning cliches on their heads.

Before that there was Angels and Demons, which added that stupid cliche into the movie, because it wasn't in Dan Brown's novel.

The list goes on and on and on...

Last edited:
I honestly haven't seen that particular cliche, other than in parodies. I hope people don't count those as "adding" to the cliche.... Like Galaxy Quest, for example, it makes fun of that cliche.. they stop it at like 30 seconds, but it waits until one millisecond to stop. "It always did that on the TV show" they said.

And I'm not surprised Nolan did it. He's not really creative, IMO

Before that there was Angels and Demons, which added that stupid cliche into the movie, because it wasn't in Dan Brown's novel.

I haven't seen the movie but I had read the book an I think it was there. The bomb being flown off on a helicopter.

I've just seen TDKR again and he did that because it's the only thing that would lead to the public death of Batman. (but there was that cut batman in the Bat -> 5 second remaining before boom and that doesn't make sense)

I haven't seen the movie but I had read the book an I think it was there. The bomb being flown off on a helicopter.

If that's the case, I stand corrected. I thought I remembered the DVD interviews saying that scene was created for the movie, but apparently not.

Still a tired cliche. Nolan is better than that.

Back