I didn't understand the plot to Rosemary's Baby.

I watched this with some friends and we all had high expectations I think, since this movie is considered to be a classic from Roman Polanski.

However, maybe I missed some things, but this movie didn't seem to make sense at all. Why would they evil religious group want to go through all this trouble of getting this woman pregnant and fooling her for 9 months, when they can just try to recruit a woman who was willing to join?

And when Rosemary was playing scrabble with the names of historical people who were into which craft from her book, she was able to figure out that Roman Castevet is part of the group because all the letters in his name, were also in the name of a guy out of the book. But that's just so illogical. If you are going to join a religious group, why choose to have a first and last name, where the letters match those of someone before? That just makes you traceable.

Criminals who choose to have aliases do not name themselves with names that have the same letters in as their predecessors, that can be easily figured out on a scrabble board.

And when Rosemary figures out that everyone is involved, she doesn't even go to the police or anything. She is worried she might come off as crazy, but she doesn't even take her drinks she is given to a chemist to find out what's in them. She foolishly flushes all the evidence down the drain, literally, and gets rid of any proof that there is a conspiracy against her.

When she tells Dr. Hill what's going on, Dr. Hill calls the husband and her other Dr. to come down to see her. They threaten to put her into a mental institution if she does not come quietly. But why should she come quietly? If she made a fuss, then got into a mental asylum, they can only hold for a few hours or a day, to determine she is insane. If she gets the police involved, it will be harder for her husband and the others to keep secret. So why not make a fuss?

Also, when they get back to her apartment, and she runs away from her husband and locks herself in the apartment, does she finally call the police? No, she calls her friend, who probably cannot really do much, at that point. Why? Why not call the police?

And when she finally sees that her husband and the group have caused damaged to the baby's eyes on purpose, she decides she is going to take care of it as a mother anyway, and just go along with the whole thing, cause she feels hopeless. Why not show the baby to the police and tell them what happened? Why not file for divorce? I realize divorce was harder at the time the movie was made, but I think if you tell them that your husband causes damage to your newborn's eyes, and says and that he is part of a group that believes the baby to be Satan, that you have a pretty strong case of winning a divorce, compared to usual. And while she's at it, why not get a restraining order too? Even if it sounds absurd, a judge still has to deal with it, and make a decision.

And after telling the police this Rosemary, could have bought a gun, went home and shot her husband and make it look like self defense. She could argue that her husband attacked her once he found out she called the police on him, and when you have already reported that your husband blinded your baby and believes the baby to be Satan, you got a pretty solid case. And by doing that, it makes it harder to hid for the other conspirators in the group, with the police heavily on their case.

I noticed how this movie is based on a book that is written by the same author who wrote The Stepford Wives, but that story makes a lot more sense since it's in a small town community and all the cops in the town are also in on it. By setting Rosemary's Baby in New York City, it's a lot harder to swallow when Rosemary doesn't even go to the police, or the media for that matter. She could go to the media and publicly slam them all for blinding her baby and believing it to be Satan. This could cause the police to be under pressure to investigate even, and would have been a smart move, since she refused to do anything else, before the baby was born.

I know this movie is suppose to be a classic, but the group is not that well explained as to why they would choose her specifically, instead of getting someone who wants to volunteer. Plus why does the group make themselves able to figured out by playing scrabble??? And why is Rosemary such a weak and stupid character? My friend's all agreed and by the end of the movie they feel cheated and pissed off. Even if the police are useless, we all agreed it's at least worth a try, better than nothing, especially when your psycho husband, is trying to break down the door.

Perhaps the reason why this movie is such a hit is because it had a shocking new premise for the time, but there are plot holes and illogical character behavior that really question whether or not the writer's actually respected their audience.

What do you think?

As my father would say: "because it's in the script."

Or to put it another way, if every character behaved sensibly and every plot was whole and logical, films would be a snoozefest, and probably no longer than 10 minutes apiece.

h44, maybe you can pitch your version to Lifetime. :P

It's almost Halloween, I like this movie, so let's address this seriously! You are responding to the movie like it is an action/crime based thriller and not a religious/occult based psychological thriller. They are not "criminals", they are "cultists". So to your points:

- the power of evil in religions often comes from the corruption of the innocent. Satan has a baby with a Satanist? Probably pretty evil. Satan has a baby with an innocent person? Evil and POWERFUL. This is not an uncommon theme.
- another VERY common theme, particularly among the occult, is the power of names. Know someone's true name, you have power over them (I'm sure you've come across that in stories before). Kabbalah is mysticism based on the name of god. And while making your name an anagram of an historical predecessor is not common behaviour for a criminal, it is not uncommon in a cult.
- in any given conspiracy thriller, the victim reaches a point where they can't trust anyone. If the doctor she trusts is in on the conspiracy, how could she know the police are not? And also...
- read a little bit about the history of mental health. In the 60s she could have been held against her will. If the doctor who is part of the cult is using that as a threat, it's not much of a stretch to assume that he has a mental hospital that is either part of the cult, or he has an arrangement with. His word against hers (and even if the cops are not involved, they'll believe the doctor first).

If you want to understand the film, you need to know a bit more about what it was like to be a woman in the 60s, the state of mental health, a basic understanding of the occult, and hell, this couldn't hurt http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaslighting

It's almost Halloween, I like this movie, so let's address this seriously! You are responding to the movie like it is an action/crime based thriller and not a religious/occult based psychological thriller. They are not "criminals", they are "cultists". So to your points:

- the power of evil in religions often comes from the corruption of the innocent. Satan has a baby with a Satanist? Probably pretty evil. Satan has a baby with an innocent person? Evil and POWERFUL. This is not an uncommon theme.
- another VERY common theme, particularly among the occult, is the power of names. Know someone's true name, you have power over them (I'm sure you've come across that in stories before). Kabbalah is mysticism based on the name of god. And while making your name an anagram of an historical predecessor is not common behaviour for a criminal, it is not uncommon in a cult.
- in any given conspiracy thriller, the victim reaches a point where they can't trust anyone. If the doctor she trusts is in on the conspiracy, how could she know the police are not? And also...
- read a little bit about the history of mental health. In the 60s she could have been held against her will. If the doctor who is part of the cult is using that as a threat, it's not much of a stretch to assume that he has a mental hospital that is either part of the cult, or he has an arrangement with. His word against hers (and even if the cops are not involved, they'll believe the doctor first).

If you want to understand the film, you need to know a bit more about what it was like to be a woman in the 60s, the state of mental health, a basic understanding of the occult, and hell, this couldn't hurt http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaslighting

Phenomenal response.

+1

Okay thanks. I considered them criminals since they are conspiring in a manipulating a baby's birth against a mother's will, which can be considered illegal activity. But you are right, they are cultists.

But when you call the police, even when a husband is trying to break down a door with the intention of attacking you, that 991 call gets routed to officers available. Are you telling me that the officers who just happen to be put on duty that night will be in on it? Of all the cops who patrol that district on different shifts? I mean calling is worth a shot when your life is in immediate danger, isn't?

Last edited:
Josh noted that you were viewing the film as a crime thriller and not a psychological/supernatural thriller. The film is set in the mid-60's with mid-60's NY culture and mid-60's technology - not to mention mid-60's filmmaking conventions and mid-60's audience expectations.

There was no such thing as "911" in 1968. International telephone calls were expensive and required the help of an operator. Keep your perspective.

Okay thanks. But it's still possible to call the operator and get a hold of the police, right? I saw Dial M for Murder, from the 50s, and the characters could still call the police with the operator's help. Wouldn't the long distance just be added to the owner's bill later?

"911 was is the nature of your immergency?"

"Hi, I'm Rosemary.
I'm wearing the devil's baby. My husband is part of the cult as well."

"Are you on medication?"

"No. You have to help me. I'm so afraid!"

"Please get of this line, ma'am.
People with real problems can't get through when you are wasting our time."

:P

Last edited:
Or Rosemary could word it differently, like "help too men are breaking into my apartment!" and just leave it at that for now, just so they will come.

Oh my goodness. If you can't follow the logic or the plot, I can imagine you trying to follow the story to the original FRIGHT NIGHT.

In the rational world, who would believe that Roman could have lived more than one life time? Tell that to someone and see if they don't look at you strange.

To understand why Rosemary would be picked over a cult member, you first need to understand the significance of innocent blood with these cults. Do some research.

Or Rosemary could word it differently, like "help too men are breaking into my apartment!" and just leave it at that for now, just so they will come.

Considering that every phone was a hardline phone in those days, it's not unfeasible to believe that these cultists could have set up their own operator's station into the grid. Just a basic pass-through that would make sure that anyone Rosemary wanted to contact was under the cult's thumb.

I understand that they could have done that, and have the police taken care of. But she didn't even try. If she tried, and then found out there were no operator to take her call at the end of the line, then that would have been much more convincing. But she didn't even care to try at all, which I found really hard to believe.

And even if she did get through and a 911 operator did not take her call seriously, I think that might also be unlikely. I recall a case where I live a while back where a 911 operator thought that a call for the police was BS, so she disregarded it and hung up. The next day, the caller was found murdered, the time of death being moments after she made the call. The 911 operator was then facing legal repercussions and charged with negligence causing death. So operators, even in the 60s, are probably more comfortable passing information along, and no that their butts are on the line if they hold back and something terrible happens, that they could have prevented. But I could be wrong.

But just because I don't believe it, does not mean that it is unbelievable to everyone of course. If the story make sense to the general viewers, then I guess their is nothing wrong with the story, and it holds together, and it's just me.

Last edited:
I think what you're mostly overlooking is her emotional and psychological state - which is largely what this film is about. Picking holes like this in a clinical, rational way takes no account of the condition the character is in.

Back