• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

I, Creator Series DVD Intro Video

Maybe here I can get more feedback.

Sonyboo brought up a good point in the other thread. So, I'm tailoring the DVD intro video for a series instead of an episode. The episode intro will appear in the feature presentation from the DVD main menu selection.

http://www.vimeo.com/29379518

PW is IC2DVD

According to vimeo, the video should be live 45 minutes from the time of this post.

I'll post when I get the email that it is live.

Any suggestions?

DVD5.jpg

How's the new "Presents"?

Yes!

I just finished applying suggestions from the group. Hope to upload the revised version tomorrow.

Cool.

I don't mean to come late to the party and all but I watched the intro you put up and I also agree it's too long compared to other DVDs I've seen.

Also, I think you have a color and motif scheme out of whack.

I don't know about others, but the first screen you see looks like the iMovie video I made of me and my wife's vacation (the swirly parchment circles on the four corners) - i.e. it looks like a stock preset title page I could make in iMovie and doesn't say "This is a Sci Fi Movie" to me.

I think all of your title pages should integrate and have similar fonts (good job on the presents btw) and right now I don't think they all match the same motif you're looking for...

Just my 2 cents.

i imagine the @ in the back is part of the technological background... which could be part of a video background he bought.... so my guess is yes, it's staying

Bingo.

It is a background called, "Cyberspace."

It works from what I can see of the 3 video I watched today on Youatube on The Singularity. The background represents the flow of digital information.

I made up the new "Presents" with Photoshop. I'm getting the hang of Photoshop for making card titles.

I thought it looks pretty cool. I don't think the feature presentation thing is needed until maybe you hit the play button to start the movie and it comes after showing some previews of other films.

When I saw the words The Series I thought this is not a series this is the second movie not a tv show series. Just what I thought about it. Not sure if people will understand what you meant by it. I understand just not sure others would.

I do think the animation is pretty cool on the freature presentation thing.

Last edited:
Thanks.

I added "The Series" because we are already slowly getting into preproduction for "I, Creator 3 - The Singularity." So, it is going in that direction. All the actors who made it to the finish line are welcome to return for IC3. And, I will be starting work on a story bible for a TV series we will be presenting at NATPE as well. The market for this stuff is cable TV.

I thought it looks pretty cool. I don't think the feature presentation thing is needed until maybe you hit the play button to start the movie and it comes after showing some previews of other films.

When I saw the words The Series I thought this is not a series this is the second movie not a tv show series. Just what I thought about it. Not sure if people will understand what you meant by it. I understand just not sure others would.

I do think the animation is pretty cool on the freature presentation thing.

Good suggestion.

Maybe I should save the Feature Presentation Animated Card as the first video clip before the actual film begins to play.

This would be for the Home Video version, of course.

The NATPE version has to be a continious loop of videos strung together.

I made up such a DVD for NY Comic Con last year with Nero. So, that is no problem.

The Home Video version is for the cast and crew to show friends and family and a possible limited release to help with fund raising for IC3. Everyone new entering IC3 will get a copy as well to catchup on the backstory.

Finally up on Vimeo

http://vimeo.com/29456855

PW is IC2DVD

like before.

The reason why the DVD Intro Video is being setup to introduce the series is because the feature presentation starts off with a back story recap of the last 20 years and links events to the original I, Creator with this clip from the rough cut:

http://www.vimeo.com/26823357

PW is membersonly

Sonyboo saw this one before and raised a good question.

The DVD Intro should work when IC2 and IC3 are put together later on the same DVD.

I will probably spend more time on the Intro later. This is just a quick slap together.

I think version 3 was better for the dvd intro. The text you are adding on version 4 does not look good and makes it look unprofessional. The font size is too big and just look bad.

I thought the intro version 3 looked much better then the pervious version too with the new animated text. The sound seems good too.

I like your intro video looked and sounded pretty good. I think the concept artwork you had of them sitting in the ship looked better. Maybe revisit that scene and try to make the interior of the ship look better and also show off the girls legs in that shot. The outside the ship view CGI did not look too great to me it looked very simple and lacked detail to make it look real. Maybe that was just a place holder I don't know. Anyways good start making a sci fi short. Improving the sound like you have been doing is make a huge difference in quality.

On the dvd intro where it says Modern Day Myth Productions the background is brown. I would probably get rid of the brown intro and redo it to match the font you have in the rest of the intro. I would use black background silver letters like you all ready did on the rest. That way it looks like they belong together. I kinda liked the cartoon intro you had before too. Maybe you could have that be part of it too like the first 11 seconds of the cartoon could be used after you hit the play button on the dvd. I would do the feature presentaion animation then the 11 seconds of the cartoon intro. I would change the music on the cartoon to match the music you have on the rest of it.

Last edited:
Thank you for your input.

However, you were obviously mixing up the episode intro with the series intrio. They are 2 different intros with 2 different purposes.

They are both being used. And, they will be used for the 2 different purposes they are intended for.

I looked at the DVD intro - I agree with rocker that the font choice is not a favorite of mine, and when you have the names of the three girls' characters on screen, they're too close and look run together. You could stagger them - have one on one level, the second name below, and then the third back on the first level, like this:

Angelo Bruno...................Roberta Azzurra

....................Gail Storm

(without the periods, i had to use them to get the message to align correctly)

Also, I wouldn't start with 26 seconds of company credits, especially with a 46 second clip - I'd go straight to the 27 second mark and start your DVD intro there. No one cares about the company when they start an indie DVD, and if you put this on a loop, as most DVD intros are, it'll get annoying, fast. Your company name will be seen more than enough on the films and behind-the-scenes stuff.

gelder

I looked at the DVD intro - I agree with rocker that the font choice is not a favorite of mine, and when you have the names of the three girls' characters on screen, they're too close and look run together. You could stagger them - have one on one level, the second name below, and then the third back on the first level, like this:

Angelo Bruno...................Roberta Azzurra

....................Gail Storm

(without the periods, i had to use them to get the message to align correctly)

Also, I wouldn't start with 26 seconds of company credits, especially with a 46 second clip - I'd go straight to the 27 second mark and start your DVD intro there. No one cares about the company when they start an indie DVD, and if you put this on a loop, as most DVD intros are, it'll get annoying, fast. Your company name will be seen more than enough on the films and behind-the-scenes stuff.

gelder

Agreed. MDM knows that my main compliant is how things just d-r-a-g on. We've been through this. It's a recurring theme.

So, this goes back to my original question, should I replace the text with narrations? I can find someone to do VOs of the text and remove the text all together for the blue background "The Singularity" theme series intro and just leave in the title text.

I guess the TV series Witch Blade is an influence for the series intro and it is narrated over. Just the title appears.

I can insert close-ups of each cyborg as the narrator identifies them.

So, this goes back to my original question, should I replace the text with narrations? I can find someone to do VOs of the text and remove the text all together for the blue background "The Singularity" theme series intro and just leave in the title text.

I guess the TV series Witch Blade is an influence for the series intro and it is narrated over. Just the title appears.

I can insert close-ups of each cyborg as the narrator identifies them.

That may work and is worth a try. Lately, I've been looking at the theory of everything the audience sees and hears is there for a specific reason and it shouldn't be there for a nanosecond longer than the audience needs to process the information. So, my thinking is influence, too. ;)

Since my market is TV, I'm studying how TV shows and movies do things.

I will have to wait until Spring 2012 to afford the trip to the recording studio with a talent to do the VOs. But, I'll do it. Right now, I'm badly off financially.

I will also put together a trailer when all the backgrounds, animation, and Visual Fx are complete next year.

Back