• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

I, Creator Series DVD Intro Video

Maybe here I can get more feedback.

Sonyboo brought up a good point in the other thread. So, I'm tailoring the DVD intro video for a series instead of an episode. The episode intro will appear in the feature presentation from the DVD main menu selection.

http://www.vimeo.com/29379518

PW is IC2DVD

According to vimeo, the video should be live 45 minutes from the time of this post.

I'll post when I get the email that it is live.

Any suggestions?

the first sequence is good, although it looks alittle Adnrew Kramer/Videocopilotish
unfortunately almost everything done in aftereffects easily resembles videocopilot though.
I'm not a bif fan of the big "PRESENTS" you slap on the viewers face, perhapse bringing the size down, and changing to a font will make it better.
as for the girls in the green screen.... nice... sometimes they look a bit awkward... but nice... i can see some of the green screen, but i guess it takes practice.

Thank you for pointing that out. I need to spend more time frame by frame on that greenscreen. I need to get it better.

Presents is what all the studios use. So, I'm using it. Let me look into a 3D font or typeface for "Presents"!.

I'm trying to get a generic DVD Intro Video. So, I've been paying attention to the studio productions in my collection.

Last edited:
what really exposed the green screen was the blonde hair, you can see the reflection. And the girls legs at the end. Everything else, regarding the green screen, was fine.

That's yellow against green. I have that same problem with some spacehip interior shots that are greenscreen. I have to play with the Sony Vegas frame clip scale tool to adjust the high and low values and add some chroma key blur at times to better blend it and wipe out matt lines.

Thank you for pointing that out.

Are you looking for suggestions or are you just promoting this?

I am aware that there are longer intros available, but, personally, I think yours should be shorter. I just got the extended edition Lord of the Rings Blu-Ray set and the intro is shorter than yours. Personally if I bought your DVD I'd want it to cut to the chase rather than showing me a whole bunch of stuff that's also in the intro to the actual film.

It is more of a matter of taste for sure. There is nothing etched in stone as to how long an intro should be. There are a lot of DVDs I wish there was a "skip intro button" to. The ones that need it don't have it.

The production itself people will have that feeling of asking themselves what the hell just happened because there are a lot of quick shots in a good percentage of scenes. So, they will want to replay the feature presentation to catch what they missed the first time.

Thank you for your feedback. You see something I'm missing. I appreciated your input Nick. As you said before it is feedback and I have to make the final decission. I appreciate your candor.

I can remove the "Feature Presentation" animation. As good as it looks, that would cut down the Intro a good 10 seconds. The Feature )resentation usually follows the Also Available card with trailers and DVD ads from other productions by the ProdCo as well anyway.

Anyone else think I should remove it?

in additive color (RGB): Yellow = Green + Red so when keying yellows, it would be more adventageous to use a blue screen than a green screen (although green is used due to the fact that it is complementary to fleshes orangy thang).

Hi, MDM

Yeah, I'm on the too-long bandwagon as well.
It's not so much the length as the lingering time on each of the scenes.
I think most peoples' brains can keep rockNrollin' a little faster.

How about this...
Cut a Version 3 from:
- 00:04.0 to 00:08:6
- 00:21.0 to 00:26.0
- 00:32.8 to 00:37.0
- 00:51.0 to end

Drop in your background music.
Skip the special sound FX for now.
And see if folks like that better.

(Subjective) timing issues aside, this looks pretty good.

Now, if you wanna keep to the <60sec part - I think that's A-okay.
Seriously.
You just gotta feed the ADD audience more material faster.
I mean every three to five seconds you gotta run something new in front of 'em to pull 'em in.
Tack 'em all at the end and just have it loop back around to that clip with the three cyborgs.
I dunno if you need to make two clips or not. That intel is above my pay grade. I'm just guessin'.

I can remove the "Feature Presentation" animation...
Anyone else think I should remove it?
Aye.

No! Wait! KEEP the "Feature Presentation"!
Delete the "Presents" part.
That's kind of "No kiddin'... "

Last edited:
I was about to post the question, if I can get some spare change together next yesr, should a shoot a one minute book trailer for my vampire books, THE REFUGE OF NIGHT and HEART OF A KILLER and make it as part of the Intro Video as Also Available card to the opening. That is when the Feature Presentation would be needed to follow the Also Available section of the opening. The book trailer would be narrated over with music and sound effects and shot out in a public park. Problem is with vampires, we'd have to shoot nights and I don't trust generators after the DOA generator from the first I, Creator. My Very Special Agents video was made to promote the books. Maybe I can re-edit that footage down to a minute.

Knightly, thanks for the chroma keying tips. Yellow against a blue background when greenscreening is a challenging combination since yellow + blue = green.

I'm on the lookout for a 3D animator for both IC2 and IC3. I won't have some money and will only be able to offer a flate rate. But, showing the final cut at NATPE to help secure funding for IC3 will be lots of free advertising to the TV networks, investors, distributors, and talent agencies. So, that counts for something. I've seen DPs, Special Effects people, editors, etc spend their own money to promote themselves at NATPE.

When I do find a 3D animator, we will ahve to carefully choose background colors knowing the colors of the girls are locked from the filming in the greenscreen room.

Knightly, thanks for the chroma keying tips. Yellow against a blue background when greenscreening is a challenging combination since yellow + blue = green.

When I do find a 3D animator, we will ahve to carefully choose background colors knowing the colors of the girls are locked from the filming in the greenscreen room.

Yep, but if you're using a blue background, you're not greenscreening, you're bluescreening. The subject normally dictates the color of the screen you use. If using a greenscreen with someone with blonde hair, it often helps to backlight with a gold/CTO filter on your hair light.

Technically, the background images are purely aesthetic choices when 'screening due to the fact that you're simply punching the background out of the foreground image (the greenscreen shot). THe background is independent and must be made to look dependent even though they are not. A simple way to tie them together is to grab the mask created by the 'screen, then blur the background just inside that to make a "light wrap" which pulls the background colors forward.

I added red and yellow behind the girls and overlayed 10% blue on top of the girls and everything else as well as adjusted the chroma key. The girls look sharper now.

DVD1.jpg

DVD2.jpg

DVD3.jpg

Back