• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

HV20 > 24p > FCP

Tomorrow, the plan is to capture some 24p HDV footage I shot with my HV20 into FCP to edit in true 24p mode. I'm guessing this is a fairly standard workflow. If there is anyone here who has done this before, would you mind posting any tricks or special pulldown menus or dialog boxes that need clicking in order for the ingested footage to look and export correctly? I'm hoping it goes smoothly, but there's always room for human error and technical difficulties. :P

Thanks in advance!

Actually I do have NeoScene, but I don't have FCP on my Mac, just FCE. Uranium City (Dr. Meyers at Evergreen Animal Hospital!) has helped me with some NeoScene settings, but I haven't had the luck I was hoping for. So now I'm going to be using FCP at the local community TV station (they have killer Mac towers) so I'll be capturing the footage straight into FCP until I get FCP on my MacBook.

For Mixed Messages I deinterlaced in Premiere, but never was able to do the pulldown thingymajiggy. Which is why there aren't a lot of camera moves!

Hmm...I get ya'.

I still use Cineform for my XHA1s and have a couple of HV40's that benefit from Cineform. 10 bit 4:2:2 for post is a must.

I just got a MacBook Pro and Final Cut about a month ago so I'm still gettin' down with the funk. Adobe is still my go to. I'll be watching this thread with you.

Cool. I would love to stay in Premiere Pro, but 99 out of 100 jobs posted on CL out here is for FCP, and the other 1% is AVID. Nuff said.

Get down. Dig that funky ball o' tits. (reference here so you don't think I'm completely off my rocker)

Cam, do you merely select "Convert to 24p" from the prefs menu, and it automatically deinterlaces? From what I know from the Cineform folks, Neoscene will automatically detect what kind of footage the source material is and do the proper reverse telecine/deinterlacing/whatnot. That's what they say, and I believe them, but I have no idea what I'm talking about and would love to hear how it works from someone here.

I shoot 24p with a consumer Canon HFS100 and convert it with Neoscene, selecting the "Convert to 24p" checkbox, and everything appears to be okay. But I still don't know what it is doing.

Cam, do you merely select "Convert to 24p" from the prefs menu, and it automatically deinterlaces? From what I know from the Cineform folks, Neoscene will automatically detect what kind of footage the source material is and do the proper reverse telecine/deinterlacing/whatnot. That's what they say, and I believe them, but I have no idea what I'm talking about and would love to hear how it works from someone here.

I shoot 24p with a consumer Canon HFS100 and convert it with Neoscene, selecting the "Convert to 24p" checkbox, and everything appears to be okay. But I still don't know what it is doing.

That's my understanding, also, in addition to the 10 bit 4:2:2 color space conversion. I have to go look at the MacBook, but I've done this 800 times in Premiere.

Wow! This is so much easier on a PC. Nothing I recognize as English at first glance. Apple does seem to have difficulty with simple things without turning it into a 10 part operation. Let me get back to you guys, sorry.

24p is in a 60i wrapper on an HV20. You have to reverse telecine. I have not found the need to de-interlace the file after reverse telecine. There is no field off set.

I use FCP to capture and Compressor to reverse telecine.

30p on a HV30 & HV40 is also in a 60i wrapper, no field off set. 24F on an HV40 is ready to go, just drop it in a 24p timeline.

I may be wrong about this but the I think FCE can not edit in true 24p only 24p in a 60i wrapper.

I posed your question to my brother, who works exclusively in FCP, and his reply was:

"Easy Setup: Format HDV, Rate: 23.98, Use: HDV 1080p24 Firewire Basic. That should set everything correctly."

So if that helps, great. If not, I apologize.

I'm still working on the Cineform end. The Mac interface for Cineform is COMPLETELY different than PC, which is highlight file (s), hit convert and you're done.

I've been editing H.264 stuff converted with grinder and hadn't delved into HDV stuff yet on FCP. What a pain.

Thanks for the specs, Joe. Heading out shortly. Will be back later. I did find THIS video on YouTube..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzBAnG8r7u4

Gosh... why are there so many damn options?? Later....

Quick lunch break, stepped away from the exporting. Things are looking up! I used a combination of the above tips, exporting the captured files via Compressor and it seems to work just fine. There is no skipping/cadence issues with the HV20 footage in the FCP timeline. :)

I'll get back with the actual specs, but the Easy Setup that UC posted and the YouTube tutorial above is pretty much what I did. Hopefully I'll have a short clip to post.

Cheers!

Back