Humility and Drive

So as I've gone through two short films doing all the jobs, I've realized my flaws and a little bit of strengths. My flaws definitely outnumber strengths at the moment, and I'm certain I've burned some bridges or hurt some feelings as I go through to the finish line for projects.

How do you all handle your f-ups? Admitting to it is the first step, I know that. I also apologize frequently (maybe too much). Thing is, I really want to learn how to work with people better. Part of that is being able to read the room, and not let your mind wander into immediate frustration or confusion.

I've stepped on toes, gotten aggravated over small things, and always weird with conflict. Flaw after flaw after flaw. But, there is something there... Because people enjoy the project/working on it. People keep volunteering their hard earned time to make sure a project is completed successfully.

Sometimes, the feeling that you could f- it all up overwhelms me. Sometimes I feel really bad about decisions, other times, I don't pay attention at all.

Are all of these things ironed out over time while working in the industry? Is the process more important to perfect than the people?

How do you all balance the line between humility and drive? Between making people who work with you happy, and completing a project successfully?

the less money and prestige your project has the harder this becomes to do. If you’re paying ppl well then you can get away with a lot more and still leave them satisfied.
If they’re not making much money... I think people need to enjoy the process too

These are great questions @onebaldman - with no simple answers.

I agree with @sfoster to some extent - you can get away with more if you're paying. But at the same time, people who you're paying are usually pros with higher expectations. And if you're not paying top dollar (I pay for my features but certainly not top dollar), people can and will walk.

A few thoughts -

I try to have people with me who know more about specific parts of the project than I do, and then listen to them. That doesn't mean I always do what they say, but I definitely take it into consideration.

I've made some really big mistakes during production, and I've also had people who work for me make really big mistakes that piss me off - and cost money, and risk losing cast & crew. I apologize when it's me, but try not to belabor the point. Figure out what needs to be done, and go forward. By the same token, I expect those who have screwed up to admit their mistake, apologize, and go forward. I have fired people who don't admit they're wrong and insist on continuing on the same path. That's one of the hardest things I've ever done, but sometimes it's essential.

When possible, I try to confront people either individually or in a small group, rather than calling them out in public.
BUT that's not always possible.

In one memorable (to me) pre-production meeting, I told off two people in front of a dozen others (I was the producer and they all worked for me). I felt I needed to establish my authority in a public way. Was that the right approach? I don't know for sure, but I was taken more seriously as the boss after that.

Anyway....just a few Friday morning musings. There are no simple answers (or if there are, I certainly haven't found them).

the less money and prestige your project has the harder this becomes to do. If you’re paying ppl well then you can get away with a lot more and still leave them satisfied.
If they’re not making much money... I think people need to enjoy the process too

That's the tough part for me, especially making short films. I'm sure as I get more work and time under my belt, that wont be as hard as it is now. The next film, I actually plan on keeping a concrete budget in advance and also attempting to gain funding BEFORE starting production. Having money will definitely help with easing my conscious.

These are great questions @onebaldman - with no simple answers.

I agree with @sfoster to some extent - you can get away with more if you're paying. But at the same time, people who you're paying are usually pros with higher expectations. And if you're not paying top dollar (I pay for my features but certainly not top dollar), people can and will walk.

A few thoughts -

I try to have people with me who know more about specific parts of the project than I do, and then listen to them. That doesn't mean I always do what they say, but I definitely take it into consideration.

I've made some really big mistakes during production, and I've also had people who work for me make really big mistakes that piss me off - and cost money, and risk losing cast & crew. I apologize when it's me, but try not to belabor the point. Figure out what needs to be done, and go forward. By the same token, I expect those who have screwed up to admit their mistake, apologize, and go forward. I have fired people who don't admit they're wrong and insist on continuing on the same path. That's one of the hardest things I've ever done, but sometimes it's essential.

When possible, I try to confront people either individually or in a small group, rather than calling them out in public.
BUT that's not always possible.

In one memorable (to me) pre-production meeting, I told off two people in front of a dozen others (I was the producer and they all worked for me). I felt I needed to establish my authority in a public way. Was that the right approach? I don't know for sure, but I was taken more seriously as the boss after that.

Anyway....just a few Friday morning musings. There are no simple answers (or if there are, I certainly haven't found them).

Thank you for sharing your experience, it really helps to hear. I don't think it will ever be easy to deal with unhappy people, but moving forward seems to be the key.

Back