• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

How to overcome....

I am 80 pages into a screen play I've been working on. A few scenes are laden with racial slurs directed towards blacks. The script is based in 1863 and they are Confederate soldiers talking to some free men and women who they encounter. It is only 2 scenes long, but they were written with the intent to show the "mental warfare directed towards them."

I have had a few people read it, both in the entertainment industry and out. It (the script) has received positive reviews overall, but some of them have said, "The language in those scenes don't need to be there...it is offensive." I have had other people say, "keep it there, it creates a huge amount of conflict. I hated reading it, and squirmed in my seat while reading it, but bravo."

I feel that the scenes and the language are imperative to the telling of the story. If the language is offensive and grinding on the nerves of those who read it and eventually see it, then I have accomplished my goal. I am, however, not taking it out because society has been conditioned to the "politically correct mentality."

Has anyone had a simliar experience and how did you approach it? Doesn't necessarily have to deal with offensive language......

Political correctness (which is a loaded and pejorative term that could easily be substituted for 'racial sensitivity') doesn't override historical accuracy. If you can find historical accounts of Confederate soldiers using that sort of language then I think you'll be absolutely fine. If you're repurposing anachronistic language in order to shock – even if its with the intention of creating sympathy for the victims – then I can see why it might be seen as exploitative and crass. So my recommendation is to make sure your research is thorough if you're committed to including these slurs. 12 Years a Slave, for example, was extremely explicit in its depiction of the cruelty instigated by the white slave owners, but every example could be backed up with a citation either from Soloman Northup's book or from an historical account. Can you say the same for your script?

hqdefault.jpg

Are you writing this for spec? I would guess that it might be up to the producer or the studio or whoever is backing it financially, ultimately.

Normally, I would say that one of a writer's highest goals ought to be authenticity, and yes, in this case, historical accuracy might be nice, too.

But if you want this made into a mainstream film, or perhaps any kind of film, that kind of authenticity, supposing what you've written is authentic, might not be viable.

On the other hand: what sfoster said.

I too was thinking of Quentin Tarantino, who has made a successful career of making films which might be considered racially insensitive, exploitative, and crass.

And along those lines, I'll just say it: probably all of us here are no Mark Twain (okay, for sure, I can only speak for myself :P); you're writing a screenplay, not a book destined to become one of the great American novels. But still... we might consider something like Huckleberry Finn. Must we pluck out all of the n-words because it offends many? Or is authenticity and truth more important?

I know what I think. But it's not what a lot of people think. And it's not necessarily what will get bought, produced, or do well at the box office.

And, it's not like Adventures of Huckleberry Finn was a spec screenplay written in 2014 by an unknown (not assuming that) author. Not to mention the fact that Samuel Clemens's life was more-or-less contemporary with the subject matter; he lived it, at least to some extent.

I think you've said that you're a Civil War buff, so I'm sure this is near and dear to your heart. You've taken pains to express how sensitive you want to be about it. I'm sure the right choice for your screenplay will be found. It might simply come down to making sure that it's clear the resultant film vilifies the soldiers' behavior, and does not condone it.

Good luck!

Political correctness (which is a loaded and pejorative term that could easily be substituted for 'racial sensitivity') doesn't override historical accuracy. If you can find historical accounts of Confederate soldiers using that sort of language then I think you'll be absolutely fine. If you're repurposing anachronistic language in order to shock – even if its with the intention of creating sympathy for the victims – then I can see why it might be seen as exploitative and crass. So my recommendation is to make sure your research is thorough if you're committed to including these slurs. 12 Years a Slave, for example, was extremely explicit in its depiction of the cruelty instigated by the white slave owners, but every example could be backed up with a citation either from Soloman Northup's book or from an historical account. Can you say the same for your script?

Thank you for your response. The answer to your question is, yes I can back it up.

Are you writing this for spec? I would guess that it might be up to the producer or the studio or whoever is backing it financially, ultimately.

Normally, I would say that one of a writer's highest goals ought to be authenticity, and yes, in this case, historical accuracy might be nice, too.

But if you want this made into a mainstream film, or perhaps any kind of film, that kind of authenticity, supposing what you've written is authentic, might not be viable.

On the other hand: what sfoster said.

I too was thinking of Quentin Tarantino, who has made a successful career of making films which might be considered racially insensitive, exploitative, and crass.

And along those lines, I'll just say it: probably all of us here are no Mark Twain (okay, for sure, I can only speak for myself :P); you're writing a screenplay, not a book destined to become one of the great American novels. But still... we might consider something like Huckleberry Finn. Must we pluck out all of the n-words because it offends many? Or is authenticity and truth more important?

I know what I think. But it's not what a lot of people think. And it's not necessarily what will get bought, produced, or do well at the box office.

And, it's not like Adventures of Huckleberry Finn was a spec screenplay written in 2014 by an unknown (not assuming that) author. Not to mention the fact that Samuel Clemens's life was more-or-less contemporary with the subject matter; he lived it, at least to some extent.

I think you've said that you're a Civil War buff, so I'm sure this is near and dear to your heart. You've taken pains to express how sensitive you want to be about it. I'm sure the right choice for your screenplay will be found. It might simply come down to making sure that it's clear the resultant film vilifies the soldiers' behavior, and does not condone it.

Good luck!

Thanks for the response! I've already responded to NickClapper...I can back up the dialogue through research. Yes, the subject matter is near and dear to my heart. In no way do I condone their behavior or their language, nor do I talk like that myself.

Authenticity, even if its purest and rawest forms, is what I aim to accomplish. It won't be pretty, nor will it be accepted by mainstream audiences, but that's not why I am writing this. It's a "movie" that's been nagging at my mind for a long time and it's almost cathartic to get it on paper.

Not sure if I mentioned it in my original post, but the effect I'm going for is an authentic, raw and gritty feel. I want it to be jarring to the nerves. I want people to squirm in their seats and feel very uneasy in their seats. Hell, I want them to experience the vulnerability of the "victims." (That goes for the rest of the movie as well, not just those few scenes).

What I do not want to write and eventually produce, is a watered down, "make believe/reenactment" politically correct/culturally sensitive movie that appeases the masses for the same of not pissing anyone off.

My only "beef" with their assessments was that "it shouldn't be there because it is offensive." It may be offensive by our standards today, but at the end of the day those two scenes serve a purpose that sets up a later scene between the Confederate soldier and the target of his hatred. Hell, it was offensive by some peoples standards at the time as well and I have an older woman witnessing it who calls him out on it.

Further, most of the Civil War movies that I've seen have portrayed Confederate soldiers as all about fighting for states rights, which is true overall, but part of those states rights included the issue of enslaving an "inferior race (Confederate States Vice President Alexander Stephens' own words...not mine)" The simple fact is there existed evil people in the world before that time. There existed evil people during that time, and long after we are all gone, evil people will still exist. The thing is, these characters don't think they are evil, they feel they are right in their actions and their words.

I fear that I am rambling, so I will close with a quote from Walt Whitman: "The real war will never get in the books."

Hey there, Sgt. Here's my 2c, and I haven't read the replies before this one, so it might be redundant.

Keep your dialogue exactly as it is, but put an elaborate disclaimer at the beginning of the script/story/film/whatever. Something along the lines of 'Strong language, may be historically accurate, but because it may offend readers/viewers, reader/viewer discretion is advised'. Consult with a lawyer if necessary. It's a CYA move, but gives you both legal and ethical/PC cover.

Back