marketing How to market my Vimeo channel?

Hello. I’m a filmmaker and I am finding it challenging to get my films seen. My videos are on Vimeo. Any tips on how to market my channel?

Yeah it's pretty straightforward. Do all the standard standard social media stuff and hype it up to your friends, but that's one percent of your effective advertising or less. For Vimeo and many other things your main choices are online advertising via Google Adwords (for hardcore people that want the full HUD), facebook, and youtube ads.

It's not as expensive as you might think and it's very effective, however ROI is a challenge and the rates you pay are highly dependent on a number of factors such as content type and quality.

Finding the right match for your project would typically involve months of A/B/C testing across multiple platforms, but would result in dramatically increased viewership. After three to six months of actively testing campaigns, You'd be more experienced and better equipped at promoting any type of online venture. I would say that ultimately it's worth it, and something that filmmakers should do more rather than less.

I've told people this 1000 times and I'm fairly certain that no one has ever listened to me, But its standard practice in the industry to spend close to half of your entire budget for a film on its advertising. Sometimes studios will only do a 3rd or a quarter depending on the film, but one of the great failings of the indie film industry is that a huge majority of indie filmmakers set aside somewhere between zero and 1% of their total budget for marketing.

If a tree falls in the forest and no one hears it, did it actually make a sound? Yes it made a really loud sound that no one heard and had absolutely zero effect. My advice is to take a crash course in online marketing via informational youtube videos, then invest in advertising cautiously as you gradually learn the ropes and how to make your spend effective.

Google Adwords? 😂 When's the last time you used google to find some indie films on Vimeo, and you clicked a sponsored result?

Throw Away Make It Rain GIF

My videos are on Vimeo.
The goal is not to get people to Vimeo but to get people to view your content. It doesn't matter where it resides except for the fact you want to build an audience. You need to utilize your social channels. Reels on IG, TikTok. Share to FB. Perhaps the shorts (reels) are teasers for your Vimeo. Vimeo is not very social. Use it more as a resume/reel or for full content viewing.

Google Adwords? 😂 When's the last time you used google to find some indie films on Vimeo, and you clicked a sponsored result?

Throw Away Make It Rain GIF
Well to be fair, when's the last time anyone went looking for any video on Vimeo? It's basically a higher bit rate alternative with no viewership potential. Perfect for sending direct links of reels to corporate clients, pretty bad for marketing to the public.

As far as Google Adwords being ineffective in getting people to watch videos on Vimeo, Sure, maybe, But are you sure Adwords is actually the weak link in that particular chain? I've run Adwords campaigns that got tremendous viewership to a video, and most of those were just on some corporations web page.

Still, point taken. The better advice would be to simply upload the same video to YouTube and advertise it directly on youtube using their integrated service. Especially for a beginner running a small campaign.

Last edited:
The problem here is they are asking how to promote a Vimeo channel and not asking how to get people to view their content. It's like asking how to get Yelp reviews instead of asking how to get people to your cafe.

How to market my Vimeo channel films?

I appreciate the feedback thanks. I already uploaded all the videos on both TikTok and YouTube just to see if I can garner more interest on those platforms using their integrated advertising campaigns. And I guess I’ll save the Vimeo for the professionals whomever they may be and if they are interested at all in viewing my work. It’s unfortunate the lack of social-ability Vimeo has cause it’s perfectly attuned for more independent and experimental work as is the nature of my work.

Back