How to makes trailers/teasers?

First of all, what's the difference (if there is one) between a 'trailer' and a 'teaser'?

Secondly, what are some elements a good trailer/teaser should have?

Thanks!

a teaser doesn't give away any plot details or twists. a trailer shows actual footage and dialogue from the film.
they should pretty well hook your audience and make them want to see the movie, so maybe some dramatic lines, cool shots etc. I'm just speculating, I've never made a proper one.

Well, I know how you're supposed to make a trailer. You're supposed to show parts of the film that really portray the plot and capture the person's eye. A man from FIDM came to my high school and broke down the "Lord of the Rings" trailer. You should watch it and analyze EACH scene that pops up. When is the music quiet? When does it pick up? How fast does it pick up? etc.etc.

Teasers, and I'm just taking a shot in the dark here, are really brief and explain nothing in the trailer. A good example of a teaser would be the Transformers one. I sat in the theater and it showed Earth in space then a flying metal piece then it just morphed into the Transformers title. That's a pretty good teaser. But teasers should really be for movies that will have a lot of hype, and something that is part of a well known series or franchise.

A trailer is just a term for a commercial spot 61 seconds of longer. It does not have a set length like a 30 or 60 second spot, buts it's over 60. The ones you see in the theater are trailers. The ones on TV are commercial spots (30, 60, etc.)

A teaser teases, as in, gives you very limited information and leaves you wondering or wanting more.

To answer the second question. I may be biased here but an important element in a trailer/teaser is the music. It is normally written specifically for the trailer/teaser and doesn't feature in the actual movie itself. If you're trying to get an audience to be interested in your film then you should do so with all means possible. Writing trailer/teaser music is an art unto itself and not to be confused with writing a soundtrack score. Just my $0.02.

Back