• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

How to link up two scenes?

I'm thinking about trying to create a scene where a man walks past the camera, camera does a 180' and its a totally new location but it shows him still walking like he kept walking straight and the location just randomly changed like there was a line of two worlds and he seemlessly walks past to the other one. How do you do this scene in filming and in post production. Also sorry for no good examples.

Sounds like a plain ol' cut, to me. :huh:

Footage of man walking towards camera, and cuts when the man either blcoks lens or walks past it on the side. Pick up from the reverse at new location.

Yes? :hmm:

Pretty much.

You can get all fancy and have the camera get so close to the subject that it somewhat blacks out and unblacks in the other scene as he walks away, but it isn't always necessary.

You can also do it via swinging the camera through some dark area on both shots, using that as a point where you can cut.

The level of seemlessness you want will determine how much planning and work you need to put into the shot.

If I got you right, you want it to look like its one continuous shot, right?

If thats the case, you need a whip pan. You end shot 1 with a VERY rapid pan, then begin shot 2 with the same very rapid pan. If the speed of the pan is the same, and the focal lengths are the same, you should be able to make a fairly seemless cut.

I've never actually done this, just seen it done, and it works pretty well. I'm thinking a longer lens would be preferable?

Back