• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

How to Light Night Scenes?

Yes, you're correct David, this is how I would do it.

------------------------

mayadeath480x.JPG
The 12v NRG lamp was positioned outside the "skylight", the actor inside on the floor. Tint was added in post.

------------------

stevestunt.jpg

There were two 12v NRGs on stands in this shot. You can see the orange tint from a sodium street light in the background. Since it was a dead end street, we powered the lights off our car batteries with our (home made) extention cords -- plugs right into our cig liter.

---------------------

alexandra030724.jpg

This was shot in a public "parkway" with our 12' stand & NRG lamp powered by the 12v battery. This image mas modified in post for a surreal effect.

Last edited:
I read it more as a "this is how I would do it." statement. Albeit a little stretch of my imagination, but I'm crossing threads.

;)

I've never seen any BTS for Pan's Labyrinth though, so I decided benefit of the doubt and all.

Not that SAG would ever let an actor carry a stand, much less a light. ;)

yep, it's from Pan's Labyrinth. The photo i had in mind was actually the scene after the little girl had escaped from the baby eater, where she was all alone in the bedroom, and the moonlight shining in through the window.

On a side note, Pan's Labyrinth is a great movie

Back