• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

How to learn color correction?

What's the best way to become good at color correction? Is it absolutely necessary to spend years learning it through trial and error, or is there some way to learn it from someone else, e.g. read a book? I'm just starting out with film making, and I have never done CC before, but I'm realizing that even footage with perfect lighting and angles can look boring without some skilled CC.

It's a process every single film goes through whether it's for correction or style. As far as learning it, I would definitely try to learn from someone, possibly an internship.

Time in the chair is your best teacher. If you learn from others, you'll simply learn how they do it. You need to know what works best for you and your taste as an artist. This will only come from time being spent doing it.

I'm not sure where I found this one, but I saw a tutorial video recently. I took notes from it and applied it to a clip I filmed out the front of my house earlier this year. Looks *perfect* afterwards. Here's the simple details (I corrected in Adobe Premiere CS3):

1. Adjust contrast. Use histogram/waveform monitor. Adjust shadows. 3-way colour corrector: Shadow, midtones, highlights.

2. Adjust highlights

3. Adjust midtones

4. Adjust saturation. Use vectorscope. Possible boost to 105%. Boost individual colours.

The said clip I experimented with, I didn't use this list exactly as shown, but as a rough guide... I just tried to move the mark in the vectorscope to as close to the centre as I could get it - then slightly expand it. Worked a treat for that specific clip.

I would also look at other films you admire (or other people admire) and figure out how they achieved the coloring.

One thing you could do is try and match an already-made movie's lighting and color...shoot something that could fit in the scene, then edited it together. Then try and match the coloring. This is a good way to practice. It will help with consistency also.

I would also fool around with plugins and custom filters...find out what settings they use, and why you like some, and why you don't like others.

I would also sit down and watch someone grade or correct...get some pointers from the source.

I don't color correct or grade...but I've been around it long enough to know what goes into it, and ways to better yourself with it.

Good luck.

In my first couple film projects, I made the mistake of not color correcting my entire film. I later found out that it is essential the film to be color corrected. The 3 major steps in post-production are: Color, Audio, smooth cuts.

Back