How to go about making documentaries

My goal is to make documentaries as a career. Yep. So I have a whole bunch of questions, which I was hoping a few of you people could answer. I am in film school right now, I just feel like I need to be doing something more. But I have know idea what. Anyways, here we go!

1. what school has the best documentary filmmaking program?

2. how do I go about making my own, low (extremley low!) budget?

3. What camera is best for a amateur filmmaker? Price is not an issue here.

4. Do you know of any summer programs or workshops for beginning filmmakers

5. How does one go about making shows for networks such as History Channel, Discovery Channel, and National Geographic? I have always wondered this, and it is kind of my dream.

I guess that is it for now. These questions are just constantly swimming through my brain, hopefully you can give me a little info. Thanks. Godspeed.

My goal is to make documentaries as a career. Yep. So I have a whole bunch of questions, which I was hoping a few of you people could answer. I am in film school right now, I just feel like I need to be doing something more. But I have know idea what. Anyways, here we go!

1. what school has the best documentary filmmaking program?
I suspect your current school counselors would know the answer.
Have you asked them?

2. how do I go about making my own, low (extremley low!) budget?
You find a subject that interests you, you start shooting. Sounds too
simple to be the way, but that's really what it takes. There are so many
different types of documentaries - one can realistically be about a local
artist or teacher or doctor or cop were you videotape their day to day
work for a couple of months. Or it can be interviews. Or one could be
about local history using photos.

3. What camera is best for a amateur filmmaker? Price is not an issue here.
Seriously? Not an issue at all? So if I recommend a $45,000 broadcast
camera that's what you want to read about?

4. Do you know of any summer programs or workshops for beginning filmmakers
Again, being in film school right now, I would think your current school
would have some information. If they don't, I'm sure you have already
tried THIS LINK. Anything there you like?

5. How does one go about making shows for networks such as History Channel, Discovery Channel, and National Geographic? I have always wondered this, and it is kind of my dream.
Like most television, you need to be in the business in order to submit
a series proposal. This just isn't something you do without connections.
Those channels are approached by established prodCo's with track
records who pitch several ideas. Those channels will also approach prodCo's
when their in house team comes up with an idea.

You would start by working in the office, work your way up to a segment
producer, move into development and then pitch you show. Kind of simplistic
and it's not quite that easy, but you get the basic method.

2. Find a compelling story that you are passionate about. Most documentary film makers tell stories because they genuinely care about the subject. It also needs to be something that people want to watch. While some documentary blurs the lines of journalism, any doc film made is at it's purest form entertainment. Not only do you need a good story, but it must be told in a manner that keeps the viewer on engaged. The great thing about doc filmmaking is that an amazing story can overcome certain aspects of production that may be lacking. The demands and style of production is much different and not as refined as fiction.

3. This all depends on the film you are making. What is the target audience? Where are you filming? Who are you filming? How many cameras will be needed? How will sound be managed throughout production? are all important questions.

5. directorik is right on this one. You need to be well established, have good work already produced, and have connections. I am working with a friend of mine who runs a small production company and he is in the process of pitching a series to the networks you mentioned. You need to have a solid idea, have it well planned, and be able to sell it. Let me once again emphasize a well-planned pitch. A network wants to have all the bases covered and see that you know what you are doing and how to do it. They won't be going out of their way to fill in gaps for you.

5. How does one go about making shows for networks such as History Channel, Discovery Channel, and National Geographic?

If your doc is really good and does well at major festivals PBS may pick it up if it fits their programming criteria. That would be a quick entré to the major networks. Otherwise you have to do the long-haul ladder climb.

Instead of starting a new thread, thought I'd bump this one-

Anyone have any links or advice about writing a Documentary Proposal for submission? How different is it from a TV/Movie proposal?

I am thinking of writing one up, and I just wonder what my first steps are (and yes I have a subject in mind, and those who know me can figure it out ;) )

Yes, I'm doing a 10 part documentary on dandelions! :lol: (Thought I'd get the first smart remark in ;) )

Seriously, though I AM looking for info on proposals.

Back