• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

How to get past road blocks

Whenever I have an idea and I start in my mind to work everything out I always run into something that makes me question the whole idea so much to the point that I never end up getting over that thing and finding a way around it. Sometimes I'll just not be able to think of a certain detail while developing then next thing I know I find the whole idea bad after a while. Looking back on all of the ideas I've had in the past year not one of them sounds interesting. I don't know if I just look at it to closely when I look back at it because while I get the idea it sounds like the best idea every conceived and I can't get it out of my mind day and night until I hit a point where I question everything then the idea just drifts away. Anyone know where I'm coming from?

Everyone gets writers block.

If your ideas don't sound good after a year, maybe you're just outgrowing them. You are pretty young changing a lot more year to year than someone in their 30s.

Or maybe they are bad ideas :P
It is natural to be more excited about something when it's brand new.

Keep it simpler.

ONLY write scripts that you know you can definitely achieve with the resources available to you, as you're just starting out and won't have the network and crew of a professional. Gear and budget will be tight but it's that creative problem solving that makes filmmaking so fun and rewarding.

I try to just conceptualize two or three really cool scenes in my head and then write a story that strings them together. I find that you get two things out of this:
1. You have at least two or three really cool scenes in your film, even if the rest is crap.
2. You have a reason to get really creative without feeling totally lost because you know the plot point you're starting from and the plot point you're headed for, you're writing within a boundary (created by you!).

It's somewhat the concept of the non-submergible unit.

good luck!

Yeah and I mean these ideas would like bad like 2 weeks in after I see all the flaws in this. It's not just writers block, its hard to explain. I guess the more I think about this this is something I do all the time. I'll get so worked up about what to do that I just decide not to do anything. My old teacher used to call it analysis paralysis. I think some of it is that I start to look at my idea from how I'm ever going to get some of the important elements in it then just forget about everything and nothing comes out of it.

It's partly mindset.
Some people get scared when they realize they have to do something.
And the problem with doing something new can be that it seems impossible untill it's done.
But you will only find out by doing.

So, when you suddenly think there is a 'problem' you start thinking about a way to solve it.
That's the mindset part.

On the other hand: I've had ideas as well that lost their shine after a while.
It happens: not all that shimmers is gold.
Sometimes an idea just isn't that great.
On other times you just need to ask yourself honestly: what is holden you back?
Is it fear? > Step over your fear.

Back