how to get into film making??

hey, i figured this might be a good forum to get some help with this.

im 21 years old, im in college right now. and i really want to get into film making, but i have no idea of what way, what kind of career i could have, and what would even be possible, or if i even want to!

ive got some experience in filming and editing, one of my friends used to make lots of skate edits with a vx2100 and a dvx and me and him did all the filming and editing, and i really noticed a style i liked, not that i was that great at it, but after awhile i just got obsessed with trying to get our edits to have the right feel and look i wanted.
i havent done much with it in the last couple years. he sold his cameras for a dirtbike :(.

anyway, im always thinking of movies id like to make, and watching movies and thinking of how i could do it better. i have this obsession with wanting to make films and have tons of people, prop's and sets all under my control or atleast me having a big say in it.
im always thinking of little story's and ways i could create a little world for my movies.
its always sorta fantasy/sci-fi movies im thinking of.
having the use of crazy set's costumes/puppets,(no cgi crap) lots of actors and a big budget to do whatever i want would be like the coolest thing i could think of.

so can anyone give me some help? like what are positions in the film industry i could look at? are they possible? what kind of schools should i look at? or ways to get in or around film making to see what its all like.

Hi!

I suggest you look at filmmakers who's work you enjoy and see how they got to where they are today. Also, I would suggest you to do an internship within the film industry, as it will help you see what the day to day business is like. Moreover, if you are lucky, you will meet people who can answer some of your questions, guide you and start your network!

I hope this is helpful!

The best way to learn film, is to make films. You seem to have the drive, something that Film Schools can only nurture, structure is important, but look around for local production companies, get yourself on sets in any position you can. This way, you'll get the taste and learn the trade, again something that film school can offer you, but I took a few years of Film courses, and speaking from my own experiences, I can say that the set was more beneficial than my lectures.

The best of luck!

Welcome to indietalk!
anyway, im always thinking of movies id like to make, and watching movies and thinking of how i could do it better. i have this obsession with wanting to make films and have tons of people, prop's and sets all under my control or atleast me having a big say in it.
Sounds like you want to be a director. Like just about
everyone here. Or maybe a producer.
im always thinking of little story's and ways i could create a little world for my movies.
its always sorta fantasy/sci-fi movies im thinking of.
Now is as good a time as any to write down these little
stories into a script. The script is the place to start.
having the use of crazy set's costumes/puppets,(no cgi crap) lots of actors and a big budget to do whatever i want would be like the coolest thing i could think of.
Ain't gonna happen. Very few people get exactly the
actors and budget they want. But you sure can use
what you have to make a great movie.
so can anyone give me some help? like what are positions in the film industry i could look at?
By no means a complete list - but here are few positions that are
needed to make a film:
PRE-PRODUCTION
Writer
Producer
Executive Producer
Associate Producer
Production Assistant
Casting Director
Production Coordinator
Production Manager
Casting Director
Location Scout
Prop Builder
Production Designer
Art Director
Set Designer
Set Construction Coordinator
Costume Designer/Coordinator
Wardrobe Buyer/Stylist Assistant
Storyboard Artist

PRODUCTION
Line Producer
First Assistant Director
Second Assistant Director
Second Second Assistant Director
Production Assistant
Director of Photography
Camera Operator
First Assistant Camera
Second Assistant Camera/Loader
Steadicam Operator
Stills Photographer
Stunt Coordinator
Location Manager
Script Supervisor
Set Decorator
Set Dresser
Swing Gang
Prop Master
Greensman
Armorer
Food Stylist
Gaffer
Electrician
Best Boy
Key Grip
Dolly Grip
Grip
Rigging Grip
Sound Recordist/Mixer
Boom Operator
Special Effects Coordinator
Pyrotechnician
Special Make-up Effects
Transportation Coordinator
Driver
Make-Up Artist
Hair Stylist
Wardrobe/Dresser
Animal Trainers
Caterer
Craft Service

POST PRODUCTION
Post Production Supervisor
Film Editor
Video Editor
Editing Assistant
Sound Supervisor
Dialogue Editor
Sound Effects
Sound Mixer
Foley Artist
Foley Recordist
ADR Recordist
ADR Editor
Composer
Arranger
Conductor
Musicians
Titles Designer
Negative Cutter
Publicist
are they possible? what kind of schools should i look at? or ways to get in or around film making to see what its all like.
All these jobs are possible. There are people making a living in each
one of them. I'll leave the film school question to others - I'm very
much against film school. A great way to get in or around filmmaking
is to volunteer on film shoots. There must be people in your area
making movies. Do what ever it takes to find them and work with
them for free.

In addition to what 'rik listed there are all of the other "mundane" jobs that need to be done in the film industry. All types of accountants, secretaries, runners, go'fers, drivers, mechanics, food service, sanitation, archives, warehousing, etc.

Then you have the highly specialized types like animal wranglers, loop groups, helicopter pilots...

And then there is the entire support industry that manufactures and markets all of the wonderful toys we get to play with.

And lets not forget promotion, advertising, marketing, associated products (action figures, etc.), and, last but not least, all of the folks who cover the entertainment industry - TV, magazines & newspapers, the web...

I can never, ever even come close to the badass nature that comes with Directorik's answers.

That's not kissing ass. It's just a statement of fact.

You have to look for anything that can get you in the door. For me it was acting in short films being made by the students at SCAD in Savannah, GA. I've done two movies now, and both have given me wonderful opportunities to network, meet cool people and learn the process a little bit simply by working within it.

Patience is good, too. I waited ages to move to a place where I could actually live in the area long enough to take advantage of something like this. It's just a question of keeping your eyes open and being ready to react when the opportunity comes.

Hello everyone. This here is my first post! 8)

to answer your question (with the little experience that i have so far) id like to support two main things:
gain experience by working (even for free if u can) on real sets. for one it gives u a sense of what it feels to work on a set and you can see, with your own eyes, all the different kind of jobs that exist on sets. myself i was an extra on 4-5 big movie productions and i can assure you that i saw (''learned'') a lot!
2nd ... if you feel that movie making passion inside of you ... my opinion is that gaining some actual knowledge from people that have been in the business for a long time is a very good investment. why? i think that there are specifics on making movies that cant be learned by simply walking around on a set. for example: do you actually know ALL the types of cameras that you can work with? I sure as heck dont therefore i'll invest some time and money on learning that. Im confident that this knowledge will help me make better choices when purchasing equipment for my projects.

In conclusion, my formula is: passion + observation + knowledge = a very happy life!

Good luck! 8)

Back