How to get a crew together for your first film?

I've only made short films on my own so far, I'm looking to make my first real film soon but I don't know anyone who works in film. What's the best way to get the production together? I know it's not a simple process but I suppose I'm just looking for a starting point, since all I have at the moment is a script

If you have the script, your next step is to formulate a budget. Then, raise the funds. Your next step is to secure locations and firm up a shooting schedule. After that, post listings for cast and crew. Audition. Read through. Revise. Rewrite. Revise. Shoot. Edit. Release. I have left out marketing because you should be doing that from the very beginning and continue all of the way through the entire process.

If you have the script, your next step is to formulate a budget. Then, raise the funds. Your next step is to secure locations and firm up a shooting schedule. After that, post listings for cast and crew. Audition. Read through. Revise. Rewrite. Revise. Shoot. Edit. Release. I have left out marketing because you should be doing that from the very beginning and continue all of the way through the entire process.

Cool thanks. In regards to casting, is that something you would typically do on your own, simply through organizing your own casting call, or would you hire some sort of agency or casting director to reach a wider range of actors?

You need a producer, or a production manager or whatever you want to name it; a partner who is responsible for the business/logistical side of the production. This person needs to share your vision and your passion, but will be the one who reigns you in when you get too "crazy," to help you maintain your perspective and keep you on budget.

As Lucky said you need the script, but you need to start on the shooting script. This will assist you with deciding the size of your cast and crew, locations and props, etc. and how to disseminate your funds to best effect. BTW, you should hold back 5% to 10% of your available funds for emergencies; you will ALWAYS need it.

A successful shoot is all about preproduction. You are a "general" leading your troops into "battle." "Battles" are won by thorough planning, the most important of which is logistics; organizing and assembling all of the tools and personnel that you need; knowing who should be where, when they should be there, how you get them there in a timely fashion and what they need. Have back-up plans for when things go wrong - and they will.

Treat your people well, always be looking out for their well-being. Happy, motivated people work harder for you.

Preproduction, preproduction, preproduction!!! It's all in the planning.

Cool thanks. In regards to casting, is that something you would typically do on your own, simply through organizing your own casting call, or would you hire some sort of agency or casting director to reach a wider range of actors?

That depends on the budget. Casting agents do make it easier to get quality people, but that convenience comes at a price.

"You need a producer, or a production manager or whatever you want to name it; a partner who is responsible for the business/logistical side of the production. This person needs to share your vision and your passion, but will be the one who reigns you in when you get too "crazy," to help you maintain your perspective and keep you on budget."

I sometimes fantasize about where I might be if I had a good producer. I always use one, but they have always come up short of my expectations and I wind up having to fill a lot of that role myself. The promotion/business/project management side is NOT my strong suit.

Producing, at our level, is not considered very glamorous. It's hard to get really talented people to do it. They usually wind up on the creative side instead.

looking to make my first real film soon but I don't know anyone who works in film.

Time to start meeting your local filmmaking community. Any film groups in your area? Are there any acting schools nearby? How big is your town/village/city/metropolis, btw?

If you can't afford to pay much/anything for a crew, you'll be needing to pull in favours and utilise that infectious charm I'm sure you have. Are you scouring posts & adverts for locals looking for crew/assistance on their projects? You'll not only meet like-minded people here, but get hands-on experience and be able to make all the rookie mistakes on their sets first; not yours. :lol:

Alcove said:
A successful shoot is all about preproduction.

Yup. :yes:

You need a producer, or a production manager or whatever you want to name it; a partner who is responsible for the business/logistical side of the production. This person needs to share your vision and your passion, but will be the one who reigns you in when you get too "crazy," to help you maintain your perspective and keep you on budget.

As Lucky said you need the script, but you need to start on the shooting script. This will assist you with deciding the size of your cast and crew, locations and props, etc. and how to disseminate your funds to best effect. BTW, you should hold back 5% to 10% of your available funds for emergencies; you will ALWAYS need it.

A successful shoot is all about preproduction. You are a "general" leading your troops into "battle." "Battles" are won by thorough planning, the most important of which is logistics; organizing and assembling all of the tools and personnel that you need; knowing who should be where, when they should be there, how you get them there in a timely fashion and what they need. Have back-up plans for when things go wrong - and they will.

Treat your people well, always be looking out for their well-being. Happy, motivated people work harder for you.

Preproduction, preproduction, preproduction!!! It's all in the planning.
+1

On one point I disagree a bit with Alcove, however, as it might be too soon to start a production script. First, make sure the script is the best you can write it, and then get it reviewed by a few folks (preferably in the biz, not a relative or partner) who will tell you their honest opinion about the story. With a really good script, you just might get crew, locations, actors, etc. for lo/no cost.

Also, as others have hinted, don't try to do everything yourself!!! BTW, when you're ready, and depending on where you live, craigslist.org can be a God-send.

Good luck, keep reading these forums, and let us know how you come along.

On one point I disagree a bit with Alcove... First, make sure the script is the best you can write it, and then get it reviewed by a few folks (preferably in the biz, not a relative or partner) who will tell you their honest opinion about the story. With a really good script, you just might get crew, locations, actors, etc. for lo/no cost.

I'm making the assumption that the script has reached "that" point; it's been rewritten a few times, and a few trusted harsh but fair biz buds have reviewed it.

I've only made short films on my own so far, I'm looking to make my first real film soon but I don't know anyone who works in film. What's the best way to get the production together? I know it's not a simple process but I suppose I'm just looking for a starting point, since all I have at the moment is a script

Check meetup.com for filmmaking groups in your area. The groups near me are always looking for good scripts.

Craigslist is another option. Post in the Crew section. You can get folks to work for pizza and credit.

Back