How to begin...

At the risk of sounding like a complete newbie-well, heck, I am a complete newbie, I guess there's no getting around that.

Here's the situation:

I'm working a good full-time job right now here in the good ol' southern US of A, and I hate it. Insurance is a dry field for a creative mind. So, I'd like to start working with others around me making films. I write screenplays, but I really like to direct. Problem is, I left town a few years back and I've only been around for a year or so, and all my friends from high school scattered to different colleges around the state. So I don't really have anyone to work with. And on top of that, I'm not sure exactly what I'd need on the technical end to make a polished product-I mean, I know it'd be good to have Premiere or Final Cut Pro, and After Effects, but aside from that I'm lost.

So I guess my question is, how would you recommend going about meeting other aspiring filmmakers that would be willing to work alongside me to create great cinema, and what are the basics you'd say I'd need from a technical standpoint? I'd imagine I'd just start out making short films and the like, nothing too intense budget-wise.

I appreciate any wisdom you guys have!

Welcome!

As one of the resident audio guys I have to inform you that that your project will only look as good as it sounds, because "Sound is half of the experience."

Work on other projects to gain experience, make contacts and maybe even have a little fun.

Read lots of books, participate here at IndieTalk and other forums, and watch lots of films, good and bad. Most especially get yourself to festivals to check out the competition and network.

Welcome!
The best way is to participate in other people's projects first, this way you will gain experience and also get to meet other filmmakers. Also, sites like this one, Indietalk and the similar ones are also great for networking and learning too. Good luck:)

Welcome!

In my opinion,a good way to start is by just simply trying to tell some stories .I know it sounds cliche.
Next thing is to try learn programs such as After Effects or Sony Vegas,because getting Visual Effects artists is not cheap.Try to learn doing good color correction as well,since this is extremely important.

So I guess this is how you can get started.Get a program and just shoot different types of little stories and then put them together,put sound and everything and hopefuly it will work out.If it doesn't - you try again and again.

When you feel confident enough to start a short FILM or whatever you can always look at local schools if they have some sort of Drama classes or whatever.Most of the times the students ( maby at the age of 15-20 ) are very enthusiastic about the ideas of making films.

You can as well to see if there are any film schools around you and maby search for a forum,and then post a topic that you are looking for something specific for your film.

You can as well invest in a Tripod on first place,I think it will be really helpful to you.I mean if you have camera already.

I'm a newb myself , but this is what I learnt and this is how I started five months ago.

Good luck!

These folks aren't kidding about this site, it is a treasure chest and all the pros and ams alike are helpful and friendly as hell. Just study this and other sites to figure out what a good beginner camera is, ect. Ect.
Because..9 times outta 10 someone is going to be asking the same exact thing as you!

Welcome and I hope you enjoy this forum as much as I do!

Suggestions where to start:

Shoot a video with your phone. Edit with free software. Post it on youtube.. boom, your a filmmaker, now you can call your self experienced.. lol.. but seriously..

http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/search/cwg?query=+

not any request for noobs, but contact any of those folks, tell them you have no experience but are willing, have strong back and good attitude, oh, and work for free!

Looks like 48hfp is coming to Jacksonville June 15!
http://www.48hourfilm.com/jacksonville/

There is a meet and great next Thursday, be there and announce your self.

Joining a 48hrs team is a great way to get to know people and to get experience with timepressured filmmaking. Since you don't have any experience: be prepared to do simple stuff that may be a bit dull, but is essential to the progress nonetheless. You make sure you also get to see the shooting/editing.

You mention After Effects.
AE is a great tool, but it takes quite some time to learn how it really works.
It's more important to learn editing first.
So my advice is to start simple: tell stories that don't need special effects.
Otherwise you are at risk of spending 2 years on a short, because you try to make an Avatar-prequel or something like that, but you don't have a clue what to do.

About keeping things simple: shoot your first stuff in daylight.
Maybe use a reflectionscreen (or a big white surface) to add light, but avoid needing dozens of lights to lght the scene.
By keeping things simple, you can focus on the storytelling-side instead of logistic and technical hurdles. (You can try that on the next project :) )
To start you need a camera and sound (could be your own mic, but maybe you can find an audioperson who wants to help out on set). A tripod would be nice to get more stable shots.
And don't forget that you need a script.

Back