• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

How should my cop protagonist wear his pistol in this case, without looking silly?

In my story, I don't want my MC to wear his pistol on his belt, at the side like almost all cops in real life do. The reason why is because it's not the smartest way to wear it. They wear that it way, because the holster can fit on a belt, and the belt can also hold up your pants.

But the waist is too high for a quick draw. You have to lift your hand too far up, to grab the grip.

Either that or a lot of cops in real life wear shoulder holsters, especially if they are not in uniform and have a jacket to go over top of the shoulder holster.

But this is not the quickest place to draw a gun either, especially if you have to undo the flap on the holster as well.

It seems the best place to have it is the way Eastwood wore it, in his westerns, where he would were the gun on a belt but the holster would extend down to his thigh. That way, he did not have to lift his hand further up to grab it, and he can just grab it, where his hand already naturally is, by his side.

Wearing the pistol across your belly on the front is a good quick way to grab it too.

However, I have never seen a cop where their gun like this in real life. They always either wear it on their pants belt at the side, or on a should holster. They have ankle holsters, too, but that is way too long to draw, for what I want.

So can I write it so that my character wears it either across his waist, at the front, or on his thigh , like Eastwood? Or will this come off as too silly and fake looking to the reader? Even though he is a police officer, that doesn't mean he has to abide by the fashion police too, does he?

Well, if he/she is a uniformed cop it would look silly to wear it any other way than on their belt.... like real cops do... If it worked better somewhere else, I would imagine the hundreds of thousands of cops around the world would have figured out a better way to wear it.

I've tried drawing myself and I got to say, drawing from holster on the thigh, is a lot quicker than doing it on the belt. I think a lot of police wear it on the belt to be fashionable, rather than practical. But even if he is out of uniform, is walking around the city streets with a pistol strapped to you thigh look any worse, than wearing it on the belt still?

Most police officers never shoot their gun. You're worried about a half a second of draw time but it's not relevant to their everyday life.

The first thing cops do is call for backup. You want to avoid a quick draw situation at all costs - that's never a place you want be.

FBI, detectives, off duty cops, etc. wear their service weapons in the small of the back.

concealed-handgun.jpg

10857116-large.jpg

BTW, a friend of mine was involved with a high profile murder case. (The bodies were found on property belonging to his family). I was at his house when law enforcement arrived, and the detectives and FBI all wore their pistols in the small of the back. The uniformed officers (local and state) all wore their weapons on the hip in the "traditional" fashion. The FBI agent in my poker group also wears his pistol at the small of the back, so this is not hearsay with me.

Many members of law enforcement on active duty (as opposed to a desk job) also wear a back-up weapon on their ankle.

dsleatherankleholster.gif

BTW, wearing your weapon in the front of the belt is a great way to insure that you will never have any children.

99.99% of the time real cops (not movie characters) draw their weapon long before they enter into a dangerous situation, so a "quick draw" is not a realistic law enforcement issue.

So can I write it so that my character wears it either across his waist, at the front, or on his thigh , like Eastwood? Or will this come off as too silly and fake looking to the reader? Even though he is a police officer, that doesn't mean he has to abide by the fashion police too, does he?

No, but as a uniformed cop he has to abide by very strict departmental regulations.

This is what research is all about. Go to your local cop bar, buy a few rounds and ask questions. Many are more than happy to talk, especially to screenwriters who will give them a "consultant" credit.

Last edited:
Okay thanks. But I am not basing it on full reality. All the cops wear them on their belts, but since this is a fictonal story, in a fictional world, isn't some artistic licence in order, especially if you want your character to be different in ways? But not look too silly or odd at the same time though.

As for not needing to wear a gun on your thigh, because you can just call for back up, not every officer has time to call for back up in the most surprising of situations.

Last edited:
But I am not basing it on full reality. All the cops wear them on their belts, but since this is a fictonal story, in a fictional world, isn't some artistic licence in order, especially if you want your character to be different in ways? .

Why ask then? If you're creating an alternate dimension where realism is irrelevant, then do what works best for the story. Perhaps the cop is a humanoid cyborg with his service revolver built into his pointer finger?

Seriously though, Alcove posted the best advice you're going to get here. There are "real" places to holster or conceal a handgun, and practicality trumps style every day. Police officers keep their hair cut short for the exact same reason.

If you want form over function, go ahead, it's your movie, but just how much disbelief do you expect your audience to suspend?

This is an art director/costume design issue, not a screenwriting issue. Write it and let the production staff work out the details. Don't try to direct or design from within the script. You worry about these decisions after the script is written and approved for production.

Back