• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

How should I write this sentence correctly?

In one of my screenplays, there is a scene where the main character is beaten and rendered unconscious and when he recovers, his hands are tied against a wall. From what I've read, it isn't allowed to use " ing" or "ed" verbs in a screenplay. I wrote the sentence: " David's hands are cuffed against the wall ". How can I write it correctly? Thank you for reading and answering this!:)
PS: I'm currently moving between homes and one of them has no internet access yet, and I'd like to apologize if I won't be able to answer any questions you might have! I'll read this as soon as I can!:)

To elaborate (I hope correctly) on what diretorik said, the thing is to write in the present tense. "David's hands are cuffed against the wall" is right as rain for a screenplay because it's in the present tense, despite the "ed".

What you don't want is past tense. So something like "Peter cuffed David's hands to the wall" wouldn't do. Or, "Lucretia crossed the street" wouldn't do.

Instead, you'd want something like, "Peter cuffs David's hands to the wall," or, "Lucretia crosses the street." Everything is happening in the present, as the audience watches, not in the past.

:)

Back