How much would you charge, on average, for a project?

So I'm really bad with pricing. What would you charge for projects in general? My friend wants me to film a birthday party for his sibling and I pretty much have all the equipment I would need, so pricing doesn't need to include equipment rental costs. How do I price the labor on just shooting and editing? Let's say at the very most, I'm on set for 8 hrs. and spend 3-4 hours on editing.

Varies widely by the market, your experience, who you are shooting for (in this case a friend), what you are shooting, etc...

For a friend, without many projects under my belt, and a leisurely timeline to get it finished, I might do it for $500. It would go up from there. If I had a busy schedule, I didn't know the guy from Adam, and he wanted the finished product a week later, we'd more in the $1500 to $2000 range.

An average rate in your area (San Francisco) for an event videographer
with their own equipment is $400 per day - one person/one camera.
Add lighting (and another person); another $400/day. A skilled editor
can get $100 per hour. So say $35 per hour as an average.

Of course this is for a friend and it's a birthday party. My advice is to
tell your friend your willing to help out for free. But if you feel you need
to charge how about $50 for the shoot day and $10/hr for editing?

I think my views are tinged by how much I DESPISE event shooting. 8 hours shooting a birthday party sounds slightly less fun than a colonoscopy. I make people pay for event shoots because only real money can convince me to do them. Even with my nominal experience when I've been asked about weddings I generally throw out $3K as a starting figure for 4 hours plus editing. That generally ends the conversation. If they said yes, well for that much money I'd endure the pain.

This is something you DON'T want to do for free -- your reputation is on the line here and if you do a half @ss job, no one will know that you did the video as a favor (unless you run a disclaimer in the video). You have to give 100% to the project.

Also, don't sell yourself short for having all the equipment.

My bid: $500 for a completed 15 minute video.

I think my views are tinged by how much I DESPISE event shooting. 8 hours shooting a birthday party sounds slightly less fun than a colonoscopy. I make people pay for event shoots because only real money can convince me to do them. Even with my nominal experience when I've been asked about weddings I generally throw out $3K as a starting figure for 4 hours plus editing. That generally ends the conversation. If they said yes, well for that much money I'd endure the pain.

this...after my first event I never wanted to do it again. It wasnt because I wasnt capable it was more that I was not having any fun doing it. For a friend it will always be hard to give a price because if it is a friend you are already aware of their finances or at least have a good idea but you do not want to sell yourself short.
Remember shooting and editing takes time and if they are trying to have everything done by a certain time you may have to lose out on other money to finish the job...

These prices are ridiculous.

If you have Adobe Premier and know how to use it, you can rent a decent camera for $200-$300, shoot the whole thing yourself and have fun editing.

I'm sorry guys, I know you gotta make money but $500 a day for videotaping birthdays? Pass.

I have to agree with MaximusXXX a bit here. I've been employed by professional event videographers and was paid $300 (Australian) for about a 20 hour day which was his standard price for the second camera operator. Now he did charge his weddings at a slightly lower than average rate, but someone who has little experience and will only be shooting standard hours a few hundred is ample. Definitely don't go into the thousands.

Back