• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

How much to hire a ghost writer?

I have a great script on my mind. I am not too computer literate, nor the aptitude for the actual writing styles. Looking to pay someone to colaborate my story into a script and/or screen play. What is a fair price to pay someone? Does anyone work for future percentages anymore?

Just so we’re clear on the wording:

A ghost writer is someone who will write but not get the
credit. Is that what you’re looking for? They write the
screenplay, you pay them, you put your name on it?

A fair price for a ghost writer is pretty high. After all, the
writer will do all the work but not receive screen credit or
any future percentages.

Many writers will write for future percentages. I suspect
none will ghost write for future percentages.

Much would depend on the material you already have for them to get started with, and how much work is involved. A simple action story is a lot less work then a historical drama.

Ghost writing means no credits, which can be good as gold, so we like to make up the risk in cash.

You might pay anywhere from a grand to 15 grand, maybe more depending on your position to get the film produced, and how much money you intend to raise. If you come up with a million and pay 1.2%, then you're looking at 12,000 bucks. You may negotiate, of course and maybe get away with a grand. Ish.

Heck, could even be little as 500.00 depending on who signs on.

a

Sacrifice a goat, a virgin and a frog during full moon ;)
+1

I think that's the going rate, adjusted for LIBOR and WTIC, of course.

(PS, the goat doesn't have to be a virgin, BTW. Don't know about the frog, though. Probably will be kosher, just to be on the safe side.)

Last edited:
Back