• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

how much should I charge for writing a short script?

Hi guys

I got someone asking how much I would charge for writing a short script (30 mins) based on his idea... 🤷‍♂️

I sold short scripts before, but this is the first time someone asks me to write one from scratch based on their idea? Does anyone have any experience with this and can give me some insight (not just in terms of rate, but also how to handle the job in terms of possible reactions from the client, if we should agree to a set number of drafts beforehand, to avoid being stuck in an infinite loop of changes, Ts&Cs, etc...)?
To be clear, this is London based, so someone with experience in the UK Industry would be great, but I'm open!

Either here or in private, if you prefer :)

Thanks!

maybe I'll take that down from £900 to... £500?
If you are going to offer a discount rate, price it at £900 on the quote/invoice and then apply the discount subject to ... [think of some suitable reason]. This will serve as your reference point for subsequent invoices, but also gives you some measure of protection if the deal goes forward and then they don't pay.

The reasons for applying a discount can literally be anything you imagine - first referral incentive, signed agreement within ten days, screenwriter credit in the opening titles, full payment up front ... all that matters is that it's something that can be clearly demonstrated to a third party. :contract:

Another thing you can do is use a freelancer website and send them the link to your page. This way you cut through all the BS negotiations etc. and you can build a rep with ratings as well.
Great! I will look into those, thank you very much!

If you are going to offer a discount rate, price it at £900 on the quote/invoice and then apply the discount subject to ... [think of some suitable reason]. This will serve as your reference point for subsequent invoices, but also gives you some measure of protection if the deal goes forward and then they don't pay.

The reasons for applying a discount can literally be anything you imagine - first referral incentive, signed agreement within ten days, screenwriter credit in the opening titles, full payment up front ... all that matters is that it's something that can be clearly demonstrated to a third party. :contract:
Oh yeah that's the plan for sure. I might not be a professional writer (yet!), but I am a freelance, so I am quite used to this kind of things ehehe
But thanks for pointing that out!

Last edited:
I've been asked for samples of work. Should I just send, for example, the script for a story I sold (they actually optioned it)? Or perhaps I cannot do that, since the company didn't produce it yet?
Maybe I can give them the link to a short that I also directed and produced, so they can actually SEE one of the stories I wrote? Although they might just want to see my writing skills, so they need to actually read something.

What would you do?
Send anything you wrote that you fell represents you abilities unless you signed an NDA or sold the rights to credit.

ok, so considering that would be my first job of this kind, maybe I'll take that down from £900 to... £500? And £250 for each draft?
I mean, I will still have to put in my time to do it, so I think lower than that wouldn't be worth it?
My personal philosophy is to do what I have to do to get the project made IF it's something I want my name on. If I don't believe in the filmmaker, I soak him for what I can, and I throw in an NDA agreeing to give up screen credit in exchange. I don't want my name on anything that's sub-par.,

I twice did the thing, write the outline based on someone's idea, at their request. It was truly a development hell as the first person was constantly changing his ideas, while the second one rejected the original outline and asked for another one. Ever since I think this is waste of time (writing outlines and scripts at someone's request), unless it is well paid. Even then it is still waste of time, IMHO.

Last edited:
I twice did the thing, write the outline based on someone's idea, at their request. It was truly a development hell as the first person was constantly changing his ideas, while the second one rejected the original outline and asked for another one. Ever since I think this is waste of time (writing outlines and scripts at someone's request), unless it is well paid. Even then it is still waste of time, IMHO.
Yeah that thought crossed my mind, actually.
At the end of the day, it's all subjective. Well, apart from structure and proper format... although there is always someone who might use a different approach. But what's worse is that, as far as I can tell, these people asking to write a script on their behalf usually don't have any experience (if they had, they would develop their "idea" by themselves, right?) so no matter how much sweat you put into it, it all depends on their personal taste and their ability (or lack of) to stay consistent to their idea.

So, like you said, it might be worth it only if it's well paid, end even then you need to have some clear Ts&Cs from the start, like mlesemann listed.

Thanks everyone for the input!

This is how Hollywood works. 90% of paid Screenwriting is writing what you're told to write. and doing it to someone else's satisfaction. It's also why you need a contract that spells out your obligation and compensation as clearly and concisely as possible.

Last edited:
Back