how much should I charge for my services?

I do photo restore and video editing. how much should I charge people? I dont know how much to say
some sample of my photo restore
photorestore_rc6X4.jpg

and a sample of editing
http://onlyfoolingyou.com
thanks

I would create a website with prices similar to what competitors are charging, and offer introductory specials on places like craigslist and this forum. Something like that.

I'd suggest you calculate it by the hour, rather than the project. I know you need to offer clients a fixed price, but base the price on a fair calculation of the time it takes to do the work. Otherwise, you get caught putting a lot of time into it, and instead of working one hour for $30 you realize you just did three hours at $10/hr!

MARKETING and CUSTOMER SERVICE are major factors too -- you want to create good word of mouth, because much of your future work will come from happy customers suggesting you to their friends.

To CLIENTS, LOWEST PRICE and Underbidding isn't as important as confidence in your service and good word of mouth, it's like hiring a wedding photographer: people KNOW you'll cost a pretty penny ... but they want to KNOW you'll give them a great job!

How much, though? That's a call you have to make for yourself! Is this a side-gig or your main lively hood etc?

I'd rather make $20/hr doing ART than $30/hr doing spirit-killing factory work! :yes:

This is more of a skilled trade than an art (though I'm sure you need to be a good artist to do this trade well), and I don't think he'd do it for $20/hr. If he's good at it he can probably get a lot done in an hour. Looks like more of a "by the job" pay, or "per photo" pay.

I just talked to a buddy of mine who does this kind of work and he says he charges 75$ an hour for this type of work, then you have to consider whether you have to provide it on print, or simply send the pics back digitally. He says most newcomers can charge anywhere between $50-$75 for photo resotration, it all depends on if you're trying to establish a client base or not, for him, he's been around awhile and people know going into his shop they will pay $75 an hour.

I'd rather make $20/hr doing ART than $30/hr doing spirit-killing factory work!

This is more of a skilled trade than an art (though I'm sure you need to be a good artist to do this trade well), and I don't think he'd do it for $20/hr. If he's good at it he can probably get a lot done in an hour. Looks like more of a "by the job" pay, or "per photo" pay.

Yeah, but to me making $20/hr doing ART would still be sweet! :D Guess I'm in a bad situation or sumthin' ...

If you guys are making $75/hour doing what you enjoy ... My hat is offed to you in respect and admiration!
And ... damn, I'm looking into this as a skilled trade! I had no idea!

(On the other hand, we always hear ideas floating around of how our factory is going to move to China!)

EvsFX08 said:
He says most newcomers can charge anywhere between $50-$75 for photo resotration,

You can have all of these worlds (or however the line goes from Arthur C. Clarke's "2010") ... except INDIANA !!! :cool:

Last edited:
I would do this kind of gig by the job...guesstimate how many hours you'll put in...and submit an offer.

$15-20 an hour is a pretty decent wage for this kind of work...base your job estimate on that.

This is a question of marketing positioning. There are usually 3 common ways people position themselves:

1. Market to the low end where price is king.
2. Market to the middle, where price and value is king.
3. Market to the high end, where value beats price.

Each strategy requires different tactics. Figure out who your target market is, then go from there.

Back