• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

How much of a script do you need before your copyright it? - Your first experience?

What was your experience like with copyrighting your first script?

I'm writing with some of my friends and we want to copyright the script. A small studio was very interested in our concept and my writing crew and I to build the script. We don't mind if the studio needs to make a few changes, but we definitely want the credit of being the original authors of the script.

1. How much of the script do you need before you can copyright it?

2. What site did you use? (WGA.org, Copyright.gov, ?)

3. What was your experience like copyrighting your first script?

Any other advice and things to look out for would be greatly appreciated.

Why such resistance to registering the copyright?

Because it would be nice to break a private entity's access to a cash cow. Why should they make money "registering copyrights" when the US copyright laws already provides protection.

This is akin to paying for a warranty for your brand new car with your local mechanic when your new car already has a warranty from the factory.

Just because something has always been done a certain way doesn't mean it was right in the first place.

I, for one, would like to see the total destruction of the traditional Hollywood system by indie filmmakers.

It ain't about the $35 dollars.

Because it would be nice to break a private entity's access to a cash cow. Why should they make money "registering copyrights" when the US copyright laws already provides protection.

This is akin to paying for a warranty for your brand new car with your local mechanic when your new car already has a warranty from the factory.

No, it's not.

Filman said:
The legal system is a wild horse and not to be trusted by anyone, except for those with personal relationships to the judges.

Seriously? :rolleyes:

Back