How much money should I ask for?

After doing 3 music videos, 1 feature, 1 short film, and just now finishing a documentary (all "company work" in Africa with real budgets) for free, I'm finally being offered a paying gig. A friend-of-a-friend is offering me some kind of money to make a bunch of training videos for several companies he just purchased. I've scheduled an appointment to talk to him, but I'm not sure what terms I should aim for.

I WOULD do it for free (based on my philosophy that, if I'm learning from the experience, that's my payment), but as a missionary trying to raise funds to head back to Africa, I'm jumping at any chance I've got. Plus, I'm fairly confident in my basic technical proficiency, so I know that I'll give him a good product.

But what's that worth? Should I charge by the hour? Per video clip? I don't even know what he wants, but I'm guessing he'll want several different clips detailing the operation or maintenance of factory machinery (he runs a plastics company).

Anyone have a clue?

You charge by the day. Maybe by the week depending on
the project.

Until you know what he wants it's just about impossible to come
up with a quote. For now I suggest you determine what is the
minimum you will accept (not free) and quote 30% higher. Then
you can negotiate the rate that you both are comfortable with.

Corporate video = unglamorous, unrewarding work. Producing is a pain in the ass and can be stressful. Don't sell yourself short. Also the work detail of a "producer" could entail everything from A to Z or nothing in between. Know what work your are doing before you agree unless you are being paid on a daily basis.

I run my own production company and for something like this I charge per the finished minute of the final piece. The industry standard is $1000 per finished minute, but that's for medium to large company. A smaller company could charge $500-$700. You have to factor in if there are special needs like heavy duty computer graphics, high priced talent or something else out of the ordinary. Also, what kind of gear will you need? High end HD gear, or will HDV do? As a starting out guy, you might want to go in the $300-400 range.

Scott

Like I said, I'm not really sure what the guy wants besides "corporate training videos," but I have an appointment to go over things as soon as I return to LA from Europe. I'm definitely not as professional as you, and it's just me alone doing all my work, so I think that the lowest range you mentioned is probably what I should expect. If I was doing a more artistic shoot, or something with a storyline, I might want to rent a couple of 7Ds and a sound tech, but in this case, I think my Handycam should do. It's small and durable enough that I've used it on all my outdoor/adventure shoots in Sudan and the Congo, and unless you've got a particularly critical audience, the image quality usually doesn't phase too many people. Plus, I have a 35mm lens adapter for shots that DO require a shallow DOF.

I'm thinking that the whole project is probably worth less than $1,000, since I'm not really a pro, and at any rate, the tax situation would become slightly sticky if it's much more than that, since I'm a missionary living abroad and don't technically have an income besides charity funding from churches and individuals.

Back