• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

How much blur can I do to mask fake props without being punished for it?

When to comes to using props that are hard to come by cheap, such as guns, for example, you can always get fake guns, but some of them don't look real enough. The bigger the gun especially, the more you can tell it's a prop. The obvious solution would be to add blur, in post to mask it out, but how much blur is the filmmaker allowed before it looks TOO BAD? I can't think of any movies I've seen where it was very noticeable to compare it too.

I would never use a new prop gun (or really any prop) as-is. In my opinion, it should be put through at least a minimal distressing. Even more if it's an item that's supposed to have seen previous use. Distressing props and weathering exterior items can be one of the more enjoyable parts of the filmmaking process. :)

Add some nicks here and there, rub some sand over it... matte/dull the surfaces up a bit... wear the edges with some rough - then gradually finer - abrasive paper. Because what WILL make it scream "fake" is if the audience can tell right away it's a shiny plastic material.

You can also get creative with metallic paints. (I've seen wood painted to look like REALLY convincing metal.)

In addition... you may be surprised at what adding weight to the object (guns in particular) will do for realism.

:)

Okay thanks, but for the scene I'm thinking I have to get a lot of other things, ready, and I might not have time to do that with the gun on top of it. Since us no budget filmmakers, don't have a team to help get everything ready, we have to do more in post, than we have time for on pre-production sometimes, since pre requires a lot more work and helping hands, the more you want.

The art of post production is to develop a consistent style with your whole production that works.

How does it work? It has style, rhythm, and is pleasing to those who see it.

Don't make it obvious that you are blurring something out. Make it look natural.

As a Hollywood stunt coordinator told me, the best special effects are the ones you don't know are special effects because you are so completely fooled.

Last edited:
For sure. I would have to make it look natural. It's not just guns but things like police radio scanner, and radars, and all that stuff. That will come later. Not shooting that now, but it's good to plan ahead.

A team? Who has a freakin team? Its you man... get off your back side and do the work! :)

Making a cheap plastic gun look good enough is 10 mins work with a can of flat black paint.

20 mins and you can have a convincing replica. Its called ART.. be an artists!

For my next short I can, for this current one, because of actors coming and going, I've had to do some rewrites, and haven't had time to deal with the new props needed. Having to deal with all the changes is a full time job, plus my other paying job. Next time though, I will order future props and have them ready, just in case. Plus there is a difference in looks between a fake gun painted black, that doesn't look as real, as suppose to a real looking gun. The closet I can get to a real gun is an air gun, but the barrel is too small as well as other parts. Wouldn't I have to still blur them a little?

Last edited:
Back