How many people here write their own scripts?

I'm just wondering how many people here write their own scripts and how many work off of scripts other people have written and have either given away for free or sold.

I'm just wondering as I'm attempting to write my own and I'm curious as to if anyone has any insight as to what it's like directing your own or someone else's :)

I write my own and I have directed scripts I didn't write.

As a writer/director I tend to change things - rewriting as
we shoot, letting the actors add and take away lines. As a
director working from the script of a writer I tend to stick
closer to their words.

A question like that makes me bite my tongue to keep my natural
sarcasm in check. I know sarcasm does not translate well on a
forum like this. Even friendly sarcasm.

To be honest, anyone who would suggest you NOT try both is a fool.
No sarcasm meant. If you are a writer and a director it's essential to
try to direct your own scripts. If you're a writer it's essential to try to
get another director to make one of your scripts and if you are a
director it's essential to try directing a script you didn't write.

I deeply believe it's important to try everything you want to try. How
else will you learn? How else will you know if you have any talent in
anything? What is the alternative? Not trying? Makes me shudder.

For film I've only directed my own material. On stage I've directed my own scripts as well as those of other writers.

Like Gonzo, I'd like to direct others' material for film, but am not in a position yet to buy someone else's script.

I've not yet directed anything, so I can't say for sure, but I've written a lot and it's so much fun! To me, the writing is really the creative bit. Sure, a director needs imagination and needs to have creativity, but the writer is the one who designs and builds the characters, puts them into the situations they find themselves in, makes them say the things they say. I'm sure directing, which I fully intend to start doing soon, will be a lot of fun, but I also expect it'll be extremely difficult. I don't remember the exact quote, but I believe Alfred Hitchcock once said that he didn't like directing movies, he liked the bits before and after, cause that's where the story really gets made.

I write my own scripts (not really by the format, because I have to understand them), and have recently started to film them.

Like mad hatter, I have not yet directed anything. I am only an average writer, but will write the scripts for the shorts I plan to do. When I do a feature of course, I will most likely have someone write the script for me because I don't trust myself to do the task.

I love to direct my own script. But I show my scripts to some of my friends who then try to convince me to make some changes in script. i may do so or may not.

I like to direct my own scripts. I enjoy writing the scripts, but I have a lot of people read it too. And I let anybody give their opinions.

At the moment I only make really short films so a basic story board and instruction to the actors works. So, I guess you could say I write my own.

I have directed my writing and directed someone else's writing and enjoy both. It would be cool to have someone direct something that I wrote some day.

Thus far I write my own scripts and I am working on directing one of my scripts. I also look forward to directing something written by someone else, some day...hopefully not in a time period too far, far away.

my first short i did the story and got someone to write a script for it.

second was adapted from someones script.

third, i just made some stuff up.

fourth, i did the story and got someone to write dialogue.

i can come up with stories easy enough but i suck at writing dialogue.

Back