How many have you seen?

Next question: which movies do you think need to be added to this list?

The two I can think of are The Soloist and Born Into Brothels.

Jamie Foxx's performance, in The Soloist, is the most truthful and heartfelt acting I've ever seen in my life. Some here know I'm prone to hyperbole, but in this instance I'm being earnest. He absolutely blew me away, and it's a shame that the studios chose to basically abandon this movie.

Born Into Brothels, everyone I tell about it assumes it will just be a depressing smack in the face. Couldn't be further from the truth. It's simply beautiful, both visually and in the heart, and a true inspiration.

I still have to see those.

Trying to think of some possibly more obscure titles that maybe haven't had as much attention as they deserve.

Mysterious Skin. Difficult subject matter. Normally I wouldn't give such a film a chance. I was like, uh, no thanks. But reading the praise of critics using words like beautiful and transcendant, I did. And it turned out to be about as potent of a film as films get.

I wonder how many have seen Smilla's Sense of Snow? Guess it's not widely loved, but I'd still consider it for such a list. I like it. It's a smart, low-key suspense-thriller, but maybe not very Hollwoody. Maybe that's part of its charm. Or, it occurs to me, and somewhat contrarily, maybe it feels a little bit reminscent of old Hollywood, like those Hitchcock thrillers...like North by Northwest etc.

Big Night. Splendid. Simply.

I think I remember Angels and Insects being an offbeat, creepy, but intriguing ride. Probably also a bit obscure.

And, I think I should give a plug to Tetro.

I don't think any of those are on Netfilx streaming, unfortunately. But I think they're all available as rentals on Amazon Streaming.

Must be plenty more.

Last edited:
Seconded Angels and Insects! Great film. Haven't read the book, but it's part of the girlfriend's collection, so I will at some point. Woman In The Dunes is another might-not-be-well-known, but fantastic films. Oh, and Trouble Every Day, but that's not for the weak of stomach....

I just feel that having just one actor for a majority of the film was one of the main reasons I did not like the film. It is hard to make a film work with just one actor in an isolated place. I can think of a few films that did good with a similar concept that was Cast Away and 148 Hours. They used flash backs to help the movie. Anyways, it's been awhile since I watched Moon but my impression on watching it the first time was that it would have been better if there were more people in the film. Maybe a buddy with him to talk to would have made it better.
Fair enough. I'm not attempting to change your mind - you
didn't like it. But I still gotta say, wow. It's a story about how
isolation affects a person and you feel that story would be
better if the person had people to talk to.

You remind me of the producer who wanted to option my
zombie western and told me I would have to take the zombies
out in order for him to make the movie.

Should be added to the list:

-The Fall (meh, it's decently popular but not enough)
-Bronson (I love how a lot of people discovered Tom Hardy after Inception, even though he was incredibly awesome earlier on :))

EDIT: And to the above point on Moon, it's totally fine if you wanted more actors -- that just means you wanted a completely different film. Oh, and it's still free to watch on YouTube!

Last edited:
Found fourteen of these fifty films in my county library system, saved which DVDs were at which libraries and will begin checking out, watching, and reviewing them here. ;)

1. 24 Hour Party People (2002) - Interesting documentary style period examination. It's not mainstream, but entertaining just the same.
    [*]Backbeat (1994) - Pass
    [*]Bamboozled (2000) - Pass
    [*]Box of Moon Light (1996) - Pass
  2. Broken English (2007) - Blecht. Turned it off twenty minutes into it. The camera work was bad, and the story was never ending miserable. Dysfunction is not entertaining no matter how attractive Parker Posey is while smoking and drinking and making stupid decisions.
  3. Bubba Ho-Tep (2002) - Was looking forward to this, but maybe I wasn't in the mood for stupid. Didn't care for it. Too slow. Horror comedy just wasn't firing off for me.
    [*]The Century of the Self (2005) - Pass
    [*]Chuck & Buck (2000) - Pass
  4. Cold Comfort Farm (1995) - Interested
    [*]The Daytrippers (1996) - Pass
  5. Devil's Playground (2002) - Interested
    [*]DIG! (2004) - Pass
    [*]Enter the Void (2009) - Disappointed this isn't in my county library system. Looks interesting.
  6. Eve's Bayou (1997) - If you like blubbering kid drama this'll be a good film to watch. It's more dysfunction as entertainment, but better than most.
    [*]Fish Tank (2009) - Meh. Turned it off. Too boring.
  7. Fly Away Home (1996) - Good enough story, especially to watch with your middle aged kids.
    [*]George Washington (2000) - Pass
  8. Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai (1999) - Forest Witaker creeps me out. Did like him in 'The Last King of Scottland', though. Miiiight watch it.
    [*]Hachi: A Dog's Tale (2010) - Hmmm... No. Pass
  9. Happy Accidents (2000) - I like Marisa Tomei. Might defy interests and watch it anyway.
    [*]Idiocracy (2006) - Pass
  10. The Iron Giant (1999) - Loved it years ago. Will likely watch it again.
  11. I've Loved You So Long (2008) - Mixed feelings on this. Drama rarely appeals to me, so I fast forwarded this with subtitles on and found it to be decent in a typical indie feature sort of way. Kristin Scott Thomas is a pretty woman.
    [*]Last Night (2011) - Looks like insuffereable dysfunction as entertainment. I'm sure it's delightful. Pass
  12. Layer Cake (2004) - Meh. If you really enjoy UK underworld stuff - great. Bleh for me.
    [*]Lilya 4-Ever (2003) - Looks like another happy story. Not. Pass
    [*]Love & Basketball (2000) - Pass
    [*]The Magdalene Sisters (2002) - See 'Lilya 4-Ever'
    [*]Marwencol (2010) - This looks like it could be very weird and interesting. Disappointed it's not in the library system. Rats.
    [*]Memories of a Murder (2003) - Looks like a fictional documentary of the aftermath of 'I Saw the Devil.' LOL! Pass
  13. Moon (2009) - Watched this one twice, just in case I missed something the first go round. Don't understand what all the hoopla is about it. It's fine and well done, but I didn't find it boner-worthy. Miiiight give it a third go 'round.
    [*]Murderball (2005) - Pass
  14. My Summer of Love (2004) - Interested, and not because of the lesbian thing. WE!
    [*]Next Stop, Wonderland (1998) - Pass
  15. The Orphanage (2007) - D@mn. I really wanted to like this because I like ExecProd del Toro's other work, but this... n'ya. Can't recomend it.
  16. Perfect Blue (1997) - A very thin maybe. Certainly my least interest.
    [*]Prime (2005) - Pass
  17. Primer (2004) - No budget scifi (lite) poster child. A definite MUST SEE for indie filmmakers. Can't say it's great, but a good example of what can be done with extremely limited resources.
    [*]Rare Exports (2010) - D@MN HAM! I was really interested in seeing this, it's in the county library system, drove all the way out to a non-regular library, seems it was checked in back in December but hasn't been seen since. Probably lost or stolen. BUGGER! Someone tell me this was poor, please.
  18. The Ref (1994) - Low interest, but might watch it.
  19. Rescue Dawn (2006) - Ehh... Looks like a Werner Herzog documentary, meh. In fact, this could have been shot 3rd person docu-style and been pretty intense. FF through it with subtitles on, unless you just like a good slow movie. ;)
    [*]The Rules of Attraction (2002) - Pass
    [*]Safe Men (1998) - Pass
  20. Smiley Face (2007) - Just a stupid waste of time. It's supposed to be funny, but I guess you gotta be a pothead to appreciate the commodious predicaments.
    225482-966ca3ddb54a13de5d6e3a54137af016.jpg

[*]Surfwise (2007) - Pass
    [*]Together (2000) - Pass
    [*]Two Family House (2000) - Pass
    [*]Walking and Talking (1996) - Pass
    [*]Wendy and Lucy (2008) - Stab a steak knife in my eye. Pass
  21. Wristcutters: A Love Story (2006) - Definite maybe interested.

Last edited:
Back